Notifications
Clear all

New member w/ ?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@brass-nut)
Topic starter  

New (older) member here. Haven't player bass in a few years but caught the bug again and just had to buy anouther bass.
Scouting about the bass forums I see little to no mention of Acoustical bass' and wonder if I'd went nuts on a recent purchase?
While scouting about I came across 3 that struck my fancy. After considerable procrastination I bought one.
Most of my interest is just old fashion personal entertainment. My days of "Banding" have past by.
I really like what I hear on recordings like Kitaro (& New Age), old style cowboy, British Folk, hillbilly & bluegrass (not to mention the 60's and 70's sounds).
My choice ended up being a Mike Kelly 5TBK Dragonfly, 5 string Acoustic / Electric bass. While still having my old 100 watt Randall for an amp, most my playing will probably be unpluged (helps to keep the neighbors pacified when I get home from work at 1:30 AM).
So the question is, did I make a "doable" choice? ANY input or thoughts wouldbe appreciated. I realize most (all?) of you out there appear totally electric, but thought maybe there's some acoustical / elect experienced players lurking here.

(@nexion)
Honorable Member

1) Welcome to GuitarNoise

2) If you like you bass, you made a "doable" choice.

I have only just recently gotten into bass (a month or two) and only currently own an electric:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Studio4-Bass?sku=516752

But I greatly desire to acquire an acoustic, especially now that my good jamming buddy and I have been writing a lot of acoustic material (with an acoustic guitar and electric bass :roll: :shock: )

3) Lets see/hear some pictures/sound clips of that beauty! :wink:

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I looked into an acoustic bass before i bought my electric (Ibanez soundgear) and what I found out about them is that you can't hear them too easily so I bought an electric. since yours is acoustic electric you may not have that problem. I have heard good things about the Mike Kelley guitars. I don't know anything about five string ones.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, BrassNut! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

I only play electric bass, as well, but have been drooling over some acoustic basses. Sounds like you may have found the best of both worlds in your Dragonfly! Enjoy! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@brass-nut)
Topic starter  

Thanks guys
hopefully I'll be picking it up Friday (seems like a long time when I say it that way!! Ugh!).
Kind of getting "itchy" for it, but too bad.
Been through several boards and posed the same questions. Getting the feeling that stringing it may be,,,, interesting.
Not much input coming in and nobody appears to have one they are ready to comment on or they're just not on the net right now.
I'm going to have to go the old "find out" route I guess with thin/thick, slinky/stif, brass/bronze/nickle, round/ground/flat etc.
But I did get a couple suggestions that make sence for starting points.
Think I'll start with EXP bronze and since the B string is the concern, I'll play with that particular srting (if need be) instead of changing ($$$) complete sets all the time. (I thought that was a good idea offered from anouther board)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If it sounds as good as it looks, you're going to have a lot of fun with that!

Welcome to GN!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You aren't alone. David (dhodge) got his S.O. a Michael Kelly Firefly bass a year or so ago. I've played it a bit while hanging out with them. It's a fun instrument.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote