Clear all

New member with Qs about buying a bass

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@syciprider)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone!

Not new to guitars and basses but haven't owned a stringed piece for the last 14 years.

My background: Played lots Clash, Specials and Smiths in a garage band. Never used effects and gizmos, don't know tone from tune ;) I was Plug and Play :D

I decided recently to pick it up again and have been doing my homework @ musiciansfriend.com. Please let me know if I am shopping at the right place?

Since I am not quitting my day job I figured I should look @ a decent hobbyist's rig with maybe a pretty powerful combo amp in case the odd gig comes around.

In my shopping basket are :
Behringer Ultrabass 1200 1X12 (please feel free to comment)
some cable, a DiMarzio locking strap, a stand and a coupla Hal Leonard "Play bass Today" books

The choices for a bass guitar are:

Ibanez GSR200 (with active EQ and two p/ups)

Dean Edge 09 (single p/up)

and a Washburn XB100 (single P style p/up)

Can you please help me pick a guitar? Why should I pick one brand over the others? Also what does active EQ do for me?

Thanks for the advise!

We will fight for bovine freedom

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I think that Behringer Bass amp will be good and loud for a returning beginner. My question is - Exactly where is you price range for the bass? I saw one of those listed was $110. Even if you are a returning bass player with limited experience, don't get a bass that cheap!!!!!! I looked at getting a bass for $180, then played that bass and it sucked. I went with a Peavey Fury IV for about $320-$340. They are pretty good. $340- $500 is really pretty good for a bass. Any less and I feel it is not a good choice.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@syciprider)
Topic starter  

I think that Behringer Bass amp will be good and loud for a returning beginner. My question is - Exactly where is you price range for the bass? I saw one of those listed was $110. Even if you are a returning bass player with limited experience, don't get a bass that cheap!!!!!! I looked at getting a bass for $180, then played that bass and it sucked. I went with a Peavey Fury IV for about $320-$340. They are pretty good. $340- $500 is really pretty good for a bass. Any less and I feel it is not a good choice.

Hi 97Reb thanks for the input. I was looking at spending no more than the cost of the amp on the guitar. Say $300 max. My problem is I don't know what the extra money buys me in the lower end of the spectrum. Like I said earlier, I don't even know what active EQ does :oops:

My old bass was an Asian knock off of an EB3 that buzzed at the lower and higher frets :cry: . I doubt it was a licensed product. So really, anything I buy now will be a significant upgrade! But I will look into those Peaveys at that pricepoint too. Thanks for making me look at this another way!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

If you are looking to buy at Musiciansfriend.com, you seem to have a couple decent choices under $300. There is the Peavey Millenium, a couple OLP's and a couple Ibanez. Just read those reviews and check other places on the net, local gear shoppes, and Pawn shoppes. I would really try to play it before you buy it though. That it not always possible when buying from the net (not the exact bass, maybe, but the model).

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

A lot of people here seem to like the Yamaha entry level basses.

And 2 pick-ups are better than one.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

An active bass has a preamp built in. You need to unplug the cable when you're not playing to avoid draining the battery. Active basses generally have a more hi-fi tone, while passive basses are usually more old school. If that tells you anything.

ReplyQuote
(@syciprider)
Topic starter  

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I ended up buying an SX Jazz clone. Maple neck and fretboard and clear coated ash body. She's a beaut! I gathered that for the music I will play, the P is better but I wanted the slimmer J neck and two pup versatility. Anyway, I think most of you here know about Rondo's guitars already so enough about that.

I also looked at some effects. I got my mind set on getting two when funds allow. Bassballs envelope follower and Boss Chorus.

I'm excited about rediscovering playing again. :D

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Cool. Two pickups was a good choice.

ReplyQuote