10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I bought the bass one month ago. I think I've played it every day. Even some days I didn't play the guitars. Even some days I didn't write a post! It is curious but now I think the guitars have a neck very short.

The David's book is also a good purchase. I think I'm understanding some issues on chord composition and rhythm much better than with other books and I studied a good number of books on music! I'd recommended it to everybody. A lot of questions that I read on these forums are clearly explained there.

The bass is improving my ear. Now I'm able to play almost all the songs directly, without a partiture or tablature. I never did it with a guitar. And while I am listening a song, whatever song, my brain starts to create bass lines. The best part is that I pick up the guitar and I am able to play it directly with minor mistakes. I guess the practice of scales also helps. Or perhaps I was a bass player all this time and I didn't know it.

Also I'm playing several music styles and rediscovering some old songs. Practically you can play almost every music style with the bass. The guitar is also very versatile but perhaps it is more limited from this point of view. Maybe I was only focused on blues, rock and acoustic fingerstyle with the guitars.

I am having a lot of fun with the bass and this last weekend was incredibly fun and productive. If the rest of the journey is only a half of fun that this first month it will be enough for me!

For all these reasons, one more time, thanks to all of you that recommended to me a bass guitar!

vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Awesome :D

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That's great news, Nuno! I think you'll find that any instrument is only limited by one's imagination and it sounds like your imaginations working just fine!

Looking forward to more progress reports.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

. Or perhaps I was a bass player all this time and I didn't know it.

Also I'm playing several music styles and rediscovering some old songs. Practically you can play almost every music style with the bass.
The first comment: that's what I figured out about myself. I've always paid attention to the rhythmic aspects of songs, always dug the lines laid down by Entwistle (who) and Paul Simonon (clash) and of course Geddy (rush) but never thought about bass until I saw the opening in my church band. It's a calling!

Second comment: Same for me as well; musical styles I never listened to before seem to really hold my interest. Gospel? Wow, what bassists in that genre! Jazz? well I don't like jazz ... but I really like jazz bass. It's the strangest thing.

Glad you're enjoying it. 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

congratulations on your joy nuevo. The added dimension to your thinking about the music you play will just keep improving your play.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Second comment: Same for me as well; musical styles I never listened to before seem to really hold my interest. Gospel? Wow, what bassists in that genre! Jazz? well I don't like jazz ... but I really like jazz bass. It's the strangest thing.
Yeah, I tried to express that idea yesterday. You can listen practically each music style and you can find the bass there. From hard rock to jazz. Funk music has amazing bass players. Gospel, Soul, R&B... and classic rock and roll! Did you listen the Heartbreak Hotel recently?

I love jazz and the live jam sessions. I used to go to a bar with live jazz jams some years ago. In jazz, for example, there are great guitar players (Montgomery, Benson, Christian...) and sometimes they are in the rhythmic side but it is not usual a piano and a guitar.

However, the bass is compatible with almost every instrument and style. I guess it could be because the bass has a different role in a band and there are not another instrument in the same role. Perhaps, the piano... or some brass instruments like the tuba... but I don't imagine Steve Harris playing the tuba!

Anyway, keep you informed! 8)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

So glad to hear it Nuno. I was wondering how things were going for you. It sounds like y ou are doing great and having a fun time. So, you be playing both bass and guitar parts to Run to the Hills soon??? :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! :D

Every day I am more convinced that the bass is my instrument. Finally I think I found it! I also have fun with guitars and I had fun with keyboard (currently I didn't play it). I don't know how to express it, I understand the instrument: the role in a band, the tone that you can get, where the notes are... I was speaking about it this morning. Now I understand the chords and I know how to play them! It's similar to playing piano, you easily found the 7th just by counting. In guitars you usually learn chord patterns and play it but you don't know where the notes are (at least in my case). It seems I always say the same things but the David's book helps a lot!

I also collaborated with Dogbite in a funky theme! Awesome! One of my best experiences in music. Dogbite is a great musician. He taught me a lot and I learned a lot. I'm not able to play funky with guitar but I made that line when I received the original track (it was amazing!).

I have troubles when I try to figure out the chords in a song with the guitar, in fact I think I never did it with a whole song, I always miss some chord. However, I can do it with the bass just in minutes. Probably it is due to it is easier but also I 'know' what note to play.

Run to the hills? I'll be working on that song as soon as I finish some projects! 8)

And you? Did you finally decide try the F clef side?

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

No, I've not yet made the journey to the dark side!! :D I certainly do enjoy playing the bass and plan to purchase one. There are so many things going on for me that I'm not sure if I will be able to get a bass in the near future. I'd want to be able to give enough time to learning properly. For now, I will have to rely on playing bass when I go to my friend's house to jam. But that's not a bad thing!!!!

I did listen to your collaboration with dogbite. Loved it!! Doing that kind of project has so many additional benefits. Its so much fun to hear what your partner has done and to see how your part fits into the piece. Great job by both of you.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again but I think all the congratulations should be for Dogbite. The bass is just a minimal part, that song is pretty good even without the bass!

It was a very good experience.

ReplyQuote