Clear all

Picking

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey I've been playing guitar for almost 5 years now, and I picked up bass a couple of weeks ago.
I was wondering, when does one opt to play with a pick vs. playing sans pick?

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Well, it's a question of technique and tone. Playing without a pick gives a more mellow, round tone. Playing with a pick gives a more aggressive tone, with more highs. Being a guitar player, you'll probably be able to play faster with a pick, but the tone of a pick may not be suited to all of the things that you want to play. Don't be afraid to play fingerstyle.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

When I first started with the bass, I tended to use the pick a lot (my primary instrument is guitar). But now that I've gotten pretty comfortable with the bass, I play with fingers most of the time. It seemed like a natural progression. I do use a pick if I want a sharp attack, as on "Get Back". Otherwise I think you'll find you'll prefer the mellower fingerstyle on many if not most songs. But you might want to use the pick for a little while as you become a bit more familiar with the bass and move to fingers as you begin to feel comfortable.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm yet another who learned guitar first, then took up bass - however, since I very rarely use a plectrum for guitar, I've never bothered to use one for bass....

Guessing here, but I would imagine anyone who does use a plec uses a fairly heavy one?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

For me, when I use a flatpick, it's usually a really thin one, like the Dunlop Tortex red ones - whatever the gauge is - or a Fender Thin. The 'standard' 351 shape. I used to use extra heavy but...sometimes if the pick sorta catches a string when you're pumped and playing hard, the note'll just jump out - I guess because bass strings are so big and thick to begin with. It's almost like there's more dynamic potential in the thicker strings, though it's just an impression I have - probably not really, technically true.

BUT, with a thin pick, if I accidentally strike a note too hard, the pick gives in and balances things out in a way. Almost like a built-in volume limiter or something. I mean, even if you've been playing awhile you'll sometimes accidently really thwack a note.

And as to when to play pick-style or finger-style? It's the same as the above answers. I really 'prefer' finger-style because it's that 'rest-stroke' sort of finger movement where you pluck 'through' the string you're playing and the fingers come to rest on the string below. Built in damper, in a way. Extreme staccato playing is simple because one finger plucks and the next one automatically damps before it plucks, so you get that even division between notes. With a plectrum, if you wanted space between the notes, you'd pick, touch the string with the pick on the way back up in order to get the break between notes, and then pick again. You can do it though for me at least, it's more natural using fingers.

Doing parts where the notes start to run together - with just the pick attack dividing them - I would use a flatpick though. Again, you can do that with fingers and 'free-stroke', but it just feels more natural for me to use a pick on those kinds of parts.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I also favor the 'Big Triangle' Fender picks, medium, at times. They get a real, well, 'pointed' sort of sound.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I'm yet another who learned guitar first, then took up bass - however, since I very rarely use a plectrum for guitar, I've never bothered to use one for bass....

Guessing here, but I would imagine anyone who does use a plec uses a fairly heavy one?

Vic

There is the olde tale of using a quarter (25-cent piece in USA)... 8)

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

I prefer fingerpicking because I can play faster, switch between strings and generally do really crazy stuff that looks really shiny. Picks I found when amplified on a bass give a click sound I dont like, so I just use a rweally soft like.02 accoustic strum pick and it eliminates the click and has the benefits of a pick. Just buy a ton of picks, and use your fingers... do EVERYTHING till you find the sound you like, then you decide what the benefits are.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

what about holding the pick? same as on quitar?

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Yep!
I've always held the pick the exact same way as when playing guitar, although i'm sure that there are other techniques out there.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A US Quarter is roughly about the same size and thickness as an Engkish 5p ...... just one more piece of useless trivia.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Yep!
I've always held the pick the exact same way as when playing guitar, although i'm sure that there are other techniques out there.

Since I am not used to gripping a pick, I use a thumb-pick backwards...

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

How would that work laz? Im sittin here messin with my hand trying to figure it out hehehehe.

First you start with a thumb-pick...

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote