Clear all

Pregnant on Bass

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OK, here's the deal. The bass player in our band is pregnant with my twins (it's OK, we happen to be married). She is now 14 weeks along and our next gig isn't until Nov. 8 (almost 18 weeks at that point). We have found a back-up bass player to handle her duties while she's pregnant, but he hasn't worked with us yet and has not learned any of our songs (unless he just happens to know a few of the covers already).

Does anyone know if it is safe for her to still play? I will have a chair for her so she can rest when ever she needs to, but is there any concern with the noise? Has anyone come across this?

This would definitely be her last one until the babies are born.

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

(@97reb)
Noble Member

congratulations on the babies. I honestly don't know 100% on the safety of the kids. I doubt the noise level would be in any way damaging to the babies. Like you said, have her a chair to rest occasionally and make sure she has ear plugs. Hopefully, it is a smoke free environment.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I agree that the environment of the gig is probably more of a worry, unless you are playing crazy loud... like stadium loud.

My wife found that the baby sometimes reacted to music in the room, and started "dancing". Which was a bit uncomfortable for mommy.
Junior(s) will probably be aware of the bass and drums anyway, more than the rest of the band.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

First and most importantly ... CONGRATULATIONS!! And, TWINS!!! That means DOUBLE CONGRATS!! :D

I have to start off by saying that I've never been pregnant, so I have no personal experience to share with you. But I have to think that, as stated before, the environment in which you'll more than likely be playing probably isn't the best for babies. My main concern would be the fact that she is carrying twins. That's double the load on her back and ankles which are going to be aching anyway, and double the load on her internal organs (such as kidneys and bladder), so she's going to have to be able to run to the bathroom with little or no notice. (And, with the babies "dancing" around inside of her because of the music, she's going to have to pee a lot!) However, IMHO, I DO think that she will be able to handle one last gig before she stops for the duration of the pregnancy (because she's only in the beginning of the second trimester), providing, of course, that she discusses it with her obstetrician first and gets his/her OK.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

providing, of course, that she discusses it with her obstetrician first and gets his/her OK.

+1.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

providing, of course, that she discusses it with her obstetrician first and gets his/her OK.

+1.

This is an excellent point... we just saw him yesterday and I really meant to talk to him about it. I was so excited with seeing the ultrasound and everything was so new that I completely forgot to ask. We see him again in two weeks. We'll cover it again at that point.

Thanks for the responses. I am also worried about the smoke. She is not a smoker, so whatever she gets second hand will be about the extent of her exposure throughout the pregnancy.

Also, thanks for the kind wishes. If we can get a drummer and a rhythm guitarist out of this, we'll have our own 5-piece blues band (my oldest son is taking up the sax). :mrgreen:

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

IIRC, Tina Weymouth of the Talking Heads continued to perform well into pregnancy. Saw TH in concert during all that. Never heard about any problems about that particular child of the rhythm section, whose father was/is TH drummer Chris Franz.

Best wishes to your entire family!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If we can get a drummer and a rhythm guitarist out of this, we'll have our own 5-piece blues band (my oldest son is taking up the sax).

You'll have to take notice of which one kicks the most - you wouldn't want a natural drummer to end up on rhythm, and vice versa. Congratulations, hope everything goes well for you and Mrs Jonesey!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hmm never saw this before and I'm sure you are enjoying the little ones but when my wife was pregnant with our kids she was a dance instructor and pretty much danced right up until the time she had the babies.

No problems what so ever.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote