Notifications
Clear all

q about picking

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jbiafra)
Topic starter  

i like playing with pick instead of plucking. i hoped to get by with just picking, and haven't put too much time into learning to pluck. my picking hand gets tired very fast, tho, and i didn't anticipate that. if my hand gets tired halfway thru song one lol, how'm i supposed to last a show? will i notice this less over time or is it just something i'll have to deal with?

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I did read you started to play bass two weeks ago. I think it is absolutely normal and you will get used to the new instrument over the time. As you already has experience on guitars, try to review your technique to be more economic in your movements.

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

try to review your technique to be more economic in your movements.

+1.

Sounds like you may be holding the pick too tightly, or keeping your wrist tense, or something like that. Make a conscious effort to keep your neck, shoulder, arm and hand as relaxed as you can without dropping the pick.

Oh, and do try playing with your fingers too; unless you're only doing Chris Squire / Yes covers, you might find it helpful.
8)

ReplyQuote
(@huffheinz)

You will get used to the pick over time...keep at it. If you are just starting out on bass, I recommend that you learn to pluck with your fingers as well. You should be able to do both in order to get the right sound you're looking for in different situations.

Personally, I find it much easier to mute the strings when you are not holding a pick. I only use a pick when I'm looking for a real sharp attack on the notes.

- Huffheinz

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

i like playing with pick instead of plucking. i hoped to get by with just picking, and haven't put too much time into learning to pluck. my picking hand gets tired very fast, tho, and i didn't anticipate that. if my hand gets tired halfway thru song one lol, how'm i supposed to last a show? will i notice this less over time or is it just something i'll have to deal with?
If you get tired in the picking hand playing half a song, I think that you must hold you picking arm/hand very akward.
The overarm should "fall" straight down on the of the body, the underam (relaxed) in more or less 45 degree angle to the overarm and the the hand straight ( you may anchord/stabilize the picking hand with the pinky on the guitar body below the strings). Then adjust the neckstrap and position of the bass until the pickning hand is positioned just above the strings in playing position. Playing a bass with a pick should not be more difficult than playing a electric guitar with pick.
/Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@shake-your-bottom)

Try a bigger pick. A really big pick will give you more leverage on the strings and more sound for the amount of movement you put into it. As you get better you will get stronger so you won't need a big pick forever.

Also a really big pick is great for impressing the ladies.

Bass Guitar String

ReplyQuote