Clear all

Question

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@i-forget)
Topic starter  

Ok, I'm gonna hope this makes sense:

I have a piece of music marked BASS and it's the first piece of music I've actually read to play for bass (most of the stuff I play is written in tab) and I have a couple of questions on what to play:

1. If there are the chords written and under that the actual music on the staff, what do I play? The notes, or the chords?

2. If there are the chords written and under that is just the staff with the rythem bar things (sorry, I cannot remember what they're called, but they are the think slanted lines on the staff kind of like: //// :in a measure) do I just improvise, using notes from the chord? Or what?

I really hope that makes sense. If it doesn't please tell me so I can try again, instead of just not answering. Thank you.

Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake.

A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory.

(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

I'm not exactly sure what the exact situation is so I'm going to try to give you an answer for any that you might be describing.
1) Chord names written above standard notation
2) Chord names with rhythm slashes
3) Chord names and rhythm slashes above notation

Here's what I would do:
1) Play the written notes, the chords are probably there just for the sake of other instruments.
2) Improvise within the chord, or at least in the context of the chord.
3) I would go with the notation. I would assume the rhythm slashes are notated for a guitarist, since it would be strange to play chords on the bass.

I still don't know if I even got your situation right, so if I didn't, try to run it by me again and I'll give it another shot.

-Casey

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I believe that the //// marking means "play the same riff as shown in the previous measure(s)".

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@i-forget)
Topic starter  

Casey was right about what I was talking about with his numbers 1 and 2, and that's what I was thinking I needed to do. Thank you both.

Wouldn't there have to be a dot on either side of the slashes for it to be a repeat the previous measure sign?

Thanks

Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake.

A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah, it's either

or

From this page: http://www.arpegemusic.com/manual/EN510.htm

The "/ / / /" to me at least, means play four per bar. It's more of a guideline though unless the composer is really strict in their notation. Otherwise if you throw a couple of eighths in there it won't matter.

ReplyQuote