Clear all

Restringing Bass

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing guitar for several years now, and I recently decided to give bass a shot. The only issue is that I'm a lefty and my options are limited. My guitars are righties restrung lefty, and I was wondering if I could do the same thing with a bass or will it creates problems?

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Same problems as with your guitars. Reverse the nut, adjust the saddles, live with the awkward controls, figure out where to connect the strap.

Have fun!

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If you can get your hands on a bass that is relatively symmetrical (think along the lines of Paul McCartney's first bass), that can help. Come to think of it, I wonder where my old Kay is nowadays...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply guys, big help.

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

supplemental question. Will restringing a bass that has staggered pickups have and adverse effects? Seeing as how the pickups have essentially been reversed.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

supplemental question. Will restringing a bass that has staggered pickups have and adverse effects? Seeing as how the pickups have essentially been reversed.

Not adverse, simply different. You'll have to get used to your new configurations but it will give your bass a sound different than others.

Speaking of which, the first electric guitar I ever player was my dad's telecaster restrung from lefty to righty. I've never been able to find a guitar that sounded like that. I'm thinking about getting a lefty Tele body and having it routed for a right handed pickup in order to try to get that sound again.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

And my classical guitar is also restrung lefty (of which you can hear plenty at my sound page).Reversing definitly changes the sound.My nut isn't even filed out for the lefty configuration.

I am also thinking of getting a bass (after the exams) , but i will get it custom made lefty from the local company at an extra cost of 10 $.

Lastly i can definitly understand the agony of us lefties.

David , hendrix , kurt , rahul and cerberus...that makes a very interesting group of guitarists , don't you think bob ? :wink:

ReplyQuote