Notifications
Clear all

"Road" Bass Amps

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@4ropebottom)
Topic starter  

I have a 70s model "Road" Bass Amp Head. someone told me it was made by Gibson.

I can find nothing on the net - they aren't made anymore.

I am trying to find out the wattage. Does anyone know anything about them?

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Now I know this sounds simple, but it could be overlooked.
A lot of amps say what wattage they are on the back of the amp, where the power cord goes into the amp.

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

Beware of that method, the wattage listed on the back of the amp is probably there for electrical purposes, and is NOT the rating used to describe the output of the amp. This is the case with many amps.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Beware of that method, the wattage listed on the back of the amp is probably there for electrical purposes, and is NOT the rating used to describe the output of the amp. This is the case with many amps.

Usually the input power is in Amps, not Watts, so you can tell the difference. Multiply the Amps by 110V to get input watts, and then estimate half of that for solid-state amps, and one third (or less) of that for tube amps.

So if it says 110V 2 Amps, that's 220W input. Figure about 100W output for solid state and 60-70W for tube. There are other variables that can confound this math, but it'll get you close.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Actually, if it has an external speaker output, or a 1/4" jack where the existing speaker attaches, you'd be more likely to find the output wattage there.

ReplyQuote