6 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Opinions? Comments?

(@english-one)
Estimable Member

Well, i play a short scale, but that is only because I couldn't afford a full length one at the time.
I find it easier to play, as I am a guitarist and more used to the shorter neck.

However, there are problems with short scales; they have trouble creating low notes, because the strings are shorter. therefore, you need to use thicker strings, and even they tend to flap a little bit. Also, as my bass is 7/8th size, I find people laugh at me... :(

I shall be getting full sized as soon as I can.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I think the Gibson SG looking bass and the german made "violin" bass that McCartney used are cool looking and certainly serve their purpose as far as sound goes for particular songs. The short scale basses may even serve a great purpose as a learner instrument for beginners or younger players. There is no substitute for the full length scale, however.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm wondering if anyone in the forum plays an upright string bass. Those are like 42" scale lenth and I've never played one. It would be interesting to bring that into the conversation.

Anyone?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I wish I played one. I've played them, but not "played one", like actually being a double bassist. I like 'em though. I think the upright position makes the stretches easier.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The upright "double basses" would be ideal for more quiet situations like jazz, blues, and folk music in intimate settings. I only have messed around with them years ago. If at some point I am regularly playing and making some money at playing music, then I would seriously consider getting one to play. At the least, one could be used for a specific recording on an album to add something to the mix.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

There are loads of pickups for uprights, which are designed to get an acoustic sound, along with amps that are good for that kind of stuff. There are companies like King, who make extremely sturdy basses aimed at the rockabilly bassist, which aren't so loud acoustically because of all the bracing, but have PUs built in. With steel strings you could even use a regular bass guitar pickup. My point is that volume isn't really an issue, since you can amplify. Of course, there are also electric uprights.

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

I'm wondering if anyone in the forum plays an upright string bass. Those are like 42" scale lenth and I've never played one. It would be interesting to bring that into the conversation.

Anyone?

I thought upright basses and electric basses are both 34"?? I've played an upright before and it didn't seem like the scale length was that long, the body is just huge. Maybe I'm mistaken.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I believe standard is 41.5 and then there are the smaller scales.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Ive played one. Great fun. I had to get used to the scale length though. Notes werent in the right spots.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

NS Designs (I think) -- Ned Steinberger -- makes electric uprights too. I was just looking at them somewhere or in some catalog. $3k or so, but...I think I'd want to have the whole thing and not just that 'log' center section. Still, even though I'm left handed, I'd love to try an actual bass viol (double bass) out. I imagine you get quite a thump in your chest when you're standing next to it, playing it huh?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

A 3/4 upright, which is the standard size, is usually around 42". A 1/2 is 39"ish. A 4/4 is somewhere around 44" (!), if I remember correctly. Of course, these can vary quite a bit from bass to bass, and you might find the occasional 1/2 with 41" or 42".

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I heard that somewhere -- that most uprights are 3/4. I think you need a ladder (or those high stools the orchestra guys use) to reach. The longest 'long scale' electric bass is what...36"?

And then on the other extreme, there's those little Ashbory basses. Anyone try any of those?

ReplyQuote