Clear all

Slap pop

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So I'm practicing slap pop after watching some primus vidoes on youtube... and while it didn't seem like I practiced much, I developed a blister on my index finger on the side, it's not the area of my finger I use when playing standard alternating fingers, is this an indication that I'm popping incorrectly or just that I did too much too soon before callouses could develope? Of course now that I have a blister it's pretty likely it'll be pretty thick skin once healed.

Maybe next I should strive for actually making my fingers bleed from playing the guitar...

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

How far off to the side is the blister? I tend to pop with the fleshy part and just hook it under the string, so I don't have that problem. Sounds like you've got your hand angled a bit too much, which may limit your speed. On the other hand, if it works for you ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It's hard to say, it's almost the side of my finger, it's pretty much healed now, I can't imagine a different angle being faster, unless I'm going to constantly get a blister using the angle I have been. I did some reading and found that if you aren't getting the sound right, people tend to try harder (physically), which is probably the problem. I just need to rely on the amp more or something. My bass isn't well suited for slap pop from what I've read, and I can't lower the action more than it is without turning it into a fret buzz monster playing normally.

ReplyQuote