Clear all

Slapping and Popping

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Although I'm not a bass player (I'm a somewhat advanced guitar player who strives to take up the bass guitar). I can play quite a bit I just don't fully know how to slap and pop, which is a shame because i really am striving to learn all those funk bass riffs that Flea from the red hot chili peppers plays. Does anyone know of some video files that show these techniques? or even of some really descriptive articles about it will work fine.

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Slapping and popping is really easy once you get the hang of it.

For a pop, you want to hook your finger under the string and pull it away from the fretboard. You don't need to get too much under there, just enough to pull it up. You let the string slide off your finger by relaxing your finger when the string starts to slide off on itsw own, and that's your pop. If you don't let the string slide off, then you'll hurt your finger tips a little more. At first you may need to move your forearm to get the necessary pull, but as your finger strength increases you won't.

Slapping is a whack with your thumb. The best place to slap is right by the end of the fingerboard. Hit close, but not too close (practically touching), as the resistance from the string there may give you a bruise after a while. You want to hit the string with your thumb, somewhere between the tip and the first joint. I like to slap with a combination of a spin of the wrist, a swing of my thumb, and maybe a movement of my forearm toward the string.

That help?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, thanks alot

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Does anyone know of some video files that show these techniques? or even of some really descriptive articles about it will work fine.

Slightly off-topic (book/cd vice video), but perhaps helpful.

There's a Hal Leonard book that helped me a lot with funk techniques -- more info here: http://www.halleonard.com/item_detail.jsp?itemid=699348&order=5&catcode=01&refer=search&type=product&keywords=funk+&location=GuitarBass

The CD has the practice tracks for the exercises, which helps to translate the notes on the page to the sound you want. I found this very helpful, as much of funk is intent/attitude -- slight variations from the written notes to what you really hear.

Hope this helps.

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote