Clear all

Speed Slap!

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@necrotic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just recently picked up slapping and I wanted to know if there were any techniques that I could use while playing, or exercise while practicing, to slap faster?

In a little more detail: Im trying to follow a guitar doing a moderatly fast gallop pick, but I want to do like a slap gallop. If that makes sense. Thanks for your time,
T.J.

(@illicit)
Estimable Member

I'm gonna say two words, man:

Double thumping.

Check out some lessons and if you have a good connection, watch this video: http://victorwooten.com/lessons/video/DSCN1802.MOV

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Hammer ons and pull offs are very important for fast slapping too. In that clip (Classical Thump) he starts out with single slaps on each string, then moves on to single slaps with hammer ons, and then to double thumps with hammer ons in the middle.

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

A neat technique for adding speed really easily is using an open hammer pluck sequence. It's amazing how effortless speed comes from that, but it'll limit your lines.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@necrotic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your help guys. I have been using double thumping and I'm already starting to get better. I know this should probably be in a new topic, but as far as strings/amps/basses goes, what is the best way to get that metallic slap sound? Like the kind you get from brand new strings?

ReplyQuote