Clear all

String Question

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm getting a new bass this weekend...I'm hoping for a Fender Jazz of the 70s reissue, geddy lee or highway one variety. we'll see what GC has in stock.

I've always played with roundwound strings, but recently played a bass with flatwounds. The feel of them was pretty cool and I enjoyed it. I don't have very good ears, or a way to compare the two types of strings, but what do you guys use? what are the benefits of flatwounds? roundwounds?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I love flats. They have a deeper sound to me. Plus they feel like silk compared to rounds. La Bella Deep Talkin' flats are excellent

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I use roundwounds but I want to try the flatwounds. I will change them soon.

The sound is different. The Lakland site has recordings with almost each one of their basses with both strings. Usually the "smoother" rhythms are better for listening the differences.

And the bass? What did you get?

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

well i got a 70s Reissue Jazz bass...love it. You can see pics at the other thread I made for it..

but more importantly, I got a set of Chromes Flatwounds today...and they are definitely my favorite now. Forget about roundwounds, these are amazing to me. Very glad I tried them.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Chromes are great; very bright for flats. I keep a used set as a backup, though I do prefer nickel rounds on my main bass.

I might take the tapewounds off my fretless pink Johnson and put the chromes on that one. Tapes are nice for jazzy uprighty stuff, but chromes can rock!

8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote