Notifications
Clear all

Stupid question...

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

I loves Mike Dirnt's bass.From what i hear in green day songs , i think he does a lot of slapping...Am i right on this ?

Or he uses various effects ?

Mike Dirnt was on the cover of Bass Player magazine back in September 2004, and was the featured interview.

Here's a few quotes from the article:
Wielding a pick with remarkable agility, Dirnt digs into his bass with authority, using the full weight of his right arm as the motor for his locomotive lines. "I play really hard, and I like my basses to have high action -- I want my tone to come from me physically."

"I also like a tic-tac click, like the sound of the baritone guitar parts on old country records, where it would double the bass line. I like the ice-pick-in-the-ear upper-midrange sound, and I like my bass to have punch".

Describing his sound gear:
Live, Dirnt goes from a Shure ULX wireless into a Custom Audio Electonics switcher to allow for quick bass changes. From the splitter, the signal goes through an Avalon U5 DI and a Bassman 1200 Pro head with the EQ essentially flat. The 1200 Pro feeds another 1200 Pro and a Fender 800 Pro, both functioning as slave units. Each amp is connected to a Bassman 810 Pro 8x10 cabinet with the tweeter turned off. Says Dirnt, "For my tone, I don't need that spitty sound up top". His only effects are Zinky Master Blaster boost and True Grit overdrive pedals, which he uses when he wants more presence and drive.

Note: any typos are mine

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2