Clear all

The left handed bassist

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing bass now for about 3-4 months and i love playing. Problem is that i use a right handed bass. Should i really try to find a left-strung bass??? Its not like im going to play long reach chords (I'm on a basic 4 string).

My heart sunk when i read the lefty guitar columns saying never to pick up a righty-strung guitar.

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

That's a topic of much controversy. However, I think most will agree that if you're not having problems with the righty bass, then there's no reason to switch. The main problem that I hear lefties playing on righty guitars complain of is a lack of rhythm in their right hand. From my experience flipping my guitar around, my non-dominant hand (left) does seem deficient. I don't know if that's just because I'm used to my right hand doing the job well and my left still being at a beginner level or not. I think you can learn good rhythm in your non-dominant hand, even if it doesn't come naturally. In my opinion, most of it comes down to practice.

Since you're already playing righty and don't seem to be having problems, I'd recommend sticking with it. You'd have to relaern 3-4 months of practice backwards.

ReplyQuote
(@baronvonrock)

It costs a bit more, but I personally refuse to use right handed basses. I'm proud of my left-handedness. It's the only minority I am! Embrace your leftyness, but do whatever's easiest for you man.

I am so smart! S-M-R-T!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The bass player we recently started jamming with is left handed but plays a righty bass strung righty. He's been playing that way since 1965 or something and has no problem with it. I guess it is all about how much you practice, like Paul said.

It did make me wonder about my own decision, years ago, to reverse my strings. I'm a lefty too but play with the strings reversed. I can't really remember though: maybe it was something about wanting to be 'correctly left handed' lol. You know, completely opposite as in a mirror image.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't done it and just played righty instruments strung righty (as quite a few people do - but not all), because it would've opened up the number of instruments available to me. Nowadays it's easier to find a true lefty instrument, and at good prices, but...it's too late for me to switch now. Maybe it was seeing McCartney or Hendrix with their strings reversed; I don't really remember what the reason was now. :)

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Could he not be playing his bass upside down? I don't know if I've misinterpreted the question but it sounds to me like he's playing a right-handed bass upside-down.

If it works, stick with it.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Could he not be playing his bass upside down? I don't know if I've misinterpreted the question but it sounds to me like he's playing a right-handed bass upside-down.

If it works, stick with it.

That's what it sounds like to me too. By the way Tucker, good to see you again. You were gone for quite awhile it seems.

Take care :)

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Sometimes I wonder if the guitar should have been strung the other way to begin with...

Seems like you're able to apply more leverage to the strings closest to your palm, but we all play with the thinnest string there... not very smart, it seems to me...

I'm a righty, but maybe I'll have to pick up a left handed guitar and learn to play it upside down... :shock:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@nomadik)
Eminent Member

Im left handed, but I play bass and guitar right handed. I feel I can still achieve anything however I learn it. Its just how much you practice really.

-Jesse Acosta
http://www.ayun.net/nomadik/

ReplyQuote