Skip to content
The Pink Johnson (F...

Notifications
Clear all

The Pink Johnson (FINAL PICS + SOUND CLIP 12/30/07)

72 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
24.7 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The unplugged acoustic sound is quite good!
Probably this is the most important.

Send us pictures and sound tests ASAP! :D

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

CLICK HERE to see some pictures; no sound clips yet (waiting for the new pickup, should be here today or Monday.)

Good news: the frets lift out very easily with a good set of nips. No need to heat them with a soldering iron; it's very obvious they were not glued in place. I'll just sand smooth the "teeth marks" left by the frets and fill the slots with putty; this part of the project will be easier than I thought.

One thing I'm thinking about is the body is much darker pink than I had expected ... If I "age" it with tinted shellac, it might look neon orange. Still debating whether or not to order some Shell Pink paint from the Reranch. I'll test the shellac in the pickup cavity when I replace the pup.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

One thing I'm thinking about is the body is much darker pink than I had expected ... If I "age" it with tinted shellac, it might look neon orange. Still debating whether or not to order some Shell Pink paint from the Reranch. I'll test the shellac in the pickup cavity when I replace the pup.

Cool pix, Slej.
I don't think you'd get anything as vibrant as a neon orange even with the tint.
That's a pretty 'cold' muted body colour.
Curious how it works though!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice pics, Mitch. Hey, you could always try painting it a different colour - according to an unimpeachable source, Black is the new black this week...... :wink:

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

unimpeachable

Vic

:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Pink, black, peach ...

Well the amber shellac did nada. Just looked bad in the test patch.

So ...

Dark Toreador Red Metallic it shall be!

Yes, auto paint. :)

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Pink, black, peach ...

Well the amber shellac did nada. Just looked bad in the test patch.

So ...

Dark Toreador Red Metallic it shall be!

Yes, auto paint. :)

Hey, that's nice! 8)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My dad's first car - a 1962 Ford Cortina - was exactly the same colour. Ah, fond memories! Great choice of colour, perhaps THIS is the new black?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Dark Toreador Red is indeed the new black! And it still has some pinkish hues ... I actually went looking for shell pink but couldn't find it in a store (no surprise), and I can't see paying $15 a can at the Reranch, so I picked these up at the auto shop. It's actually lacquer. I'll clear coat it with Deft. I spent $15 total on all four cans. :D

Oh, forgot to mention that the Korean-made "EMG Select" pickups are a big improvement over the stock ones, which were supposedly "EMG Designed" but they look, feel and sound nothing like the new ones. Not very high output, but they're much better balanced from lows to highs, with really nice mids and definition throughout. Nice $24 upgrade for any cheap p-bass copy, I'd think.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

So what color is it? Pink? Black?

Blink? :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So what color is it? Pink? Black?

Blink? :twisted:

We could launch a whole line of Blink Basses.

Speaking of which, the neck on this one is finished (well, I still need to work on the nut, but can't do that until I get the big fat tapewound strings.)

I defretted it, widened the slots to the width of a standard fine-toothed hacksaw blade, filled with a lightly-contrasting shade of putty, sanded with a 12" radius sanding block, and applied a top coat of superglue. Man, that makes it sound so easy ... there were a few potholes along the way.

Came out okay! Not perfect ... but certainly usable. And of course I gave it a custom headstock decal.

New pics added to the gallery: C L I C K

A sample:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Wow that's looking nice already! Amazing how it's brought the grain out.

Vic

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Very nice wood! :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah I'm pleasantly surprised at the rosewood grain. I guess they dyed it dark originally because it's inconsistent, as you can see in the pic below, but I think it has much more character now. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Its a brilliant piece of work. You deserve yourself a Guitar Noise 'Medal of Honour'.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5