Skip to content
The Pink Johnson (F...

Notifications
Clear all

The Pink Johnson (FINAL PICS + SOUND CLIP 12/30/07)

72 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
24.6 K Views
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Amazing, Slej.
8)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I am impressed!

And that's not just pink. It's PANK! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well a funny thing happened on the way to "Dark Toreador Red Metallic" ...

This paint is DARK DARK DARK ... almost purplish-brown or black with some very vague red flecks. Nothing at all like the car I posted. For reference "Duplicolor" brand auto paint looks nothing like color on the can. I guess it's another case of getting what you pay for ... I shoulda paid up for the Reranch lacquer after all. But, at this point I didn't want to spend any more money, so it shall be deep dark purple-brown-reddish-BLACK.

Still, with the fretless neck and black tapewound strings, it will have a certain "cool" factor ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

The neck looks great, Can't wait to seethe finished bass. 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Agreed, that neck is killer.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks y'all.

Well as the lacquer has cured a day, the body color seems to have brightened up and more red is apparent, especially when light hits it just right. I am optimistic that after I wet-sand and polish the top coat in a week or so it will look pretty good.

I'm also "aging" the pickguard slightly. Never leave well enough alone. :)

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Check out this listing on Craigslist that I stumbled over today:

http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/390388885.html

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

LOL Riff Raff; very good. :) Love the line in the ad "I also have a pink violin and a hot-pink acoustic available for any real pink lovers. I am a 52 yr old married father of two and I play a pink guitar just as a statement that I can." Booyah!

Btw, that "peach" bass is the color of aged lacquered shell pink. If that had been the color of mine, I'd have never painted it. Oh well. I'm thinking about making the pickguard sparkly pink instead ... !!!

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

LOL Riff Raff; very good. :) Love the line in the ad "I also have a pink violin and a hot-pink acoustic available for any real pink lovers. I am a 52 yr old married father of two and I play a pink guitar just as a statement that I can." Booyah!

Btw, that "peach" bass is the color of aged lacquered shell pink. If that had been the color of mine, I'd have never painted it. Oh well. I'm thinking about making the pickguard sparkly pink instead ... !!!

I forgot the disclaimer:I DID NOT POST THAT ON CRAIGSLIST! (Not that there is anything wrong with pink guitars).

I had a salmon/pink bass back in the early 90's which I ended up trading. I think it was an Ibanez, but I'm not sure.

ReplyQuote
(@frosk)
Trusted Member

wow. that not-fretboard is really sexylooking.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

wow. that not-fretboard is really sexylooking.

Yeah, that raises a point - what do you call a fretboard without frets? A board? Fingerboard? The neck?

Kind of like the old, old joke - what do you call a fly with no wings....a walk.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

A dog with no legs ... Matt
what do you call a fretboard without frets? A board? Fingerboard? The neck?

Fingerboard, yes.

Or sexy non-fretboard. 8)

Well the lacquer has cured a week ... Reranch says longer is better with nitro, but "at least three days" is the recommendation. So, the sandpaper is soaking, and I hope to polish up the body this weekend.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The best laid plans ...

Well the dark dark dark metallic red paint looks pretty good under the glossy lacquer.

It's the lacquer that I did a poor job on, and didn't realize it until I started rubbing it out. Lots of "orange peel" texture, especially on the back, but also some on top. Apparently with clear nitro lacquer you need to use fairly heavy, wet coats. I guess mine were a bit too light.

Worse, I had a couple sand-throughs, also on the back ... it went suddenly from "hmmm, that spot looks a tad darker than the rest" to "holy crud, I just sanded down to the white shellac primer!"

I could sand it all down and reshoot, or start over ... maybe next time.

Now I'm just waiting for the big fat tapewound strings to get here from warehouse-challenged Musician's Friend, so I can finish up the nut.

One thing I've learned about the nut on a fretless: the slots should be just barely above the fingerboard. I've even heard of a custom builder who has them set flush with the fretboard, while others have varied recommendations: the height of a fret; the width of a credit card; the width of two sheets of printer paper; or precisely 0.023". The trick is to set the string height so that you get the classic "mwah" fretless sound without having the string go dead against the fingerboard. Too high and no mwah; too low and it just fizzes out. As the strings I'll be using are relatively low tension (it's the tape that makes them fat, but they are roundwounds with a round core underneath) and since it's a short-scale bass, I'll lean toward a little more height at the nut.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Those darned strings from MF still haven't arrived -- been a month!

And then ... I happened across a can of warm almost-shell-pink aerosol in the hobby shop ... so now it's:

Back in pink!
I need a drink ...
It's so much work,
but the red really stinks

Now it's looking great
There's no debate
Pink's the new black
And it's no mistake

Cause it's pink! Yes it's pink!
Well it's piiiink! Piiiink!
Back in pink!
Yes it's back in pink!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Lol, nice song there. :lol:

So are you going to play 'Back in Black' tune for 'Back in Pink' ?

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5