Skip to content
The Pink Johnson (F...

Notifications
Clear all

The Pink Johnson (FINAL PICS + SOUND CLIP 12/30/07)

72 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
24.6 K Views
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So are you going to play 'Back in Black' tune for 'Back in Pink' ?

It'll sound a little funny with tapewound strings on a fretless, but sure! :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

More pics!

CLICK HERE

Nice warm shell pink, or close enough for $3.99.

Interestingly, it looks warmer in natural diffused light and cooler indoors under tungsten light. The red was just too dark - almost black indoors unless I had light right next to it. Very pleased with this shade of pink!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Oh. man, that's nice! 8)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It's looking really good, Mitch! Although - it's still pink, but it's not as PINK as it was....

I'm really impressed with the fretboard - great job there!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Gotta laugh sometimes.

Ha.

I finally got the big black tapewound Rotosounds. Had to cancel the JULY order from Musicians Friend and order from Juststrings; those folks are great at customer service and they've always got well-stocked inventory.

Anyway, these aircraft cables disguised as bass strings don't fit through the back of the bridge! :( More work; gonna have to drill the holes out a little bigger, and widen the slots in the string tree up at the headstock too.

But the good news is the nut is done; I really had to widen the slots for the Rotos, and they are just a business-card's width above the fingerboard. Be even better if I could get the strings installed ...

Soon!

(Laz: article after that, so I can do the final pictures. :) )

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Gotta laugh sometimes.

Ha.

I finally got the big black tapewound Rotosounds. Had to cancel the JULY order from Musicians Friend and order from Juststrings; those folks are great at customer service and they've always got well-stocked inventory.

Anyway, these aircraft cables disguised as bass strings don't fit through the back of the bridge! :( More work; gonna have to drill the holes out a little bigger, and widen the slots in the string tree up at the headstock too.

But the good news is the nut is done; I really had to widen the slots for the Rotos, and they are just a business-card's width above the fingerboard. Be even better if I could get the strings installed ...

Soon!

(Laz: article after that, so I can do the final pictures. :) )

Hey Slej, be aware that the tape-wound strings are a lot fatter than you think. Oh, you found that out already... Sorry I didn't tell you sooner.

(there are no deadlines!)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey Slej, be aware that the tape-wound strings are a lot fatter than you think.

Thanks man! :roll:

:lol:

The weird thing is quite a few people on TB have claimed they didn't even need to open up the nut slots for these strings. :?

But dang, they look cool. Gold silk wrap on both ends, and all black in between. Points to Rotosound just for the looks.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

More pics!

CLICK HERE

Nice warm shell pink, or close enough for $3.99.

Interestingly, it looks warmer in natural diffused light and cooler indoors under tungsten light. The red was just too dark - almost black indoors unless I had light right next to it. Very pleased with this shade of pink!

That is a great color. Much better than the original. It looks like ice cream. I want to lick it. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

It looks like ice cream. I want to lick it. :shock:

It's not often someone tells me they want to lick my bass.

As they said on Seinfeld, "Not that there's anything wrong with that ... " :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Finally got around to taking pics of the final product, and posted a short soundclip too: FunkyFretless

Added a "thumb rest" in the classic position where you obviously wouldn't rest your thumb. I also "antiqued" the pickguard a little bit, with my patented system (LOL.)

The black EMGs are an excellent upgrade for the cheap white pups that the bass came with. Lots of thump but good definition too. And the tapewound Rotosounds give a smooth, deep, sound. Even though the EMGs are pretty quiet, I shielded the cavities with copper foil too.

All in all, a fun project.

Before:

After:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hey! That sounds cool! 8)

Congrats!

And as I said previously: Nice fretboard! Very beautiful vein!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Never noticed the bass clef in the 'O' of Jaz 'O' before. Great touch. 8)
Looks and sounds great; super project. :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Read all about it!...:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/diy-low-budget-bass-makeover/
Great read, slej. :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Read all about it!...:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/diy-low-budget-bass-makeover/
Great read, slej. :)

Thanks, and thank Laz. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great article Mitch, congrats. :D

You did a great job on the bass, even if it is pink! :wink: :P :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5