25 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ah
We got a Bass discussion started.

"I think part of it is that the bass is more of a supporting instrument. Rather than being the lead and in the spotlight, the bassist set's the background for everything else"

That seems to be general consensus by GN bass players.
In a way it also seems to valid for rythm guitar players, not much discussion about guitar rythm playing in the guitar forums, mostly lead guitar talk.

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

In a way it also seems to valid for rythm guitar players, not much discussion about guitar rythm playing in the guitar forums, mostly lead guitar talk.

This is true - however, how many times have you seen requests for strumming patterns, both in the Q&A forums and in Easy Songs?

These days, it seems like everyone wants to go from total beginner to guitar deity overnight - and it can't be done without putting the hard work in first; it's like going into a skilled trade without going into an apprenticeship. I consider myself, musically speaking, first and foremost a rhythm guitarist. The one skill I'm lucky I never hard to work at acquiring is a good sense of rhythm - seems all those hours glued to the radio as a kid paid off, those songs from my youth and teens are so firmly embedded in my subconscious mind they'll never be lost. If I'm playing rhythm or bass it's almost as if I'm playing along to the band plaaying in my head!

The great thing about rhythm guitar and bass guitar, you don't need to learn very much before you're up and running - results are almost instantaneous. 3 chords and/or 3 bass notes, you can play a 12-bar blues - sure it's not going to sound great, but it's a start, and once you've laid the foundations, you can start to build on them. Learn a minor chord to go with them, there's hundreds of songs you can play.

I once heard, or read, forming a band compared to building a house. The bass player and drummer are the solid foundations; the rhythm guitar and keyboards, the walls and the roof. The lead guitarist? He's the stained-glass windows, the gold taps in the bathroom......something like that, anyway.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Bass players play more and post less. They are of the kind who don't hog all the limelight like us guitar players, yet remain the most indespensable part of the band.

The bass forum will get lightening quick once I acquire a bass...

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Almost anything that could be talked about bass wise applies to guitar, so it's hard to come up with much to talk about. The short list...

1. I got a new bass!
2. Is this a good bass?
3. Argh, I can't figure out slap pop
4. Where to find a bass tab
5. Pick or how many fingers
6. How to come up with a bassline for these chords... (most likely would be accomplanied by an MP3 and then might get moved to hear here)
7. Questions on dhodge's book

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Almost anything that could be talked about bass wise applies to guitar, so it's hard to come up with much to talk about. The short list...

1. I got a new bass!
2. Is this a good bass?
6. How to come up with a bassline for these chords... (most likely would be accomplanied by an MP3 and then might get moved to hear here)

And if they start with #7, then they're done...

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

1. I got a new bass!
2. Is this a good bass?
8. Which flatwo - oh, never mind.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

1. I got a new bass!
2. Is this a good bass?

Rotos-- ssshhhh
LaBel=- oh!
;)

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Oops, I missed one which also reminds me...

9. Something about a fretless bass (I'd like to play with one, in a sound proofed room so no one can tell how awful my ear skills are)

10. The tradeoffs of 5 and 6 string basses... kinda goes under 2 but what the heck.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

11 - How come I can manage to sing while playing rhythm guitar but not while playing bass?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

12. Why is this forum dead discussions (It should be 1. but we're in the middle of the forest here and the trees were blocking my view).

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2