Clear all

When you're playing...

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

...which part of the drummer's kit (or drum machine) do you find yourself focusing on most?

(@english-one)
Estimable Member

The ride cymbal, it is a work of art. How a piece of metal manages to vibrate for so long is quite beyond me...

Also, I tend to end up staring at the bass drum. Unfortunately, due to the minute size of the room we practice in, I often have to sit on the floor, right in front of the bass drum, with my back on my bass amp. It's a nightmare for my ears I tells ya....

An interesting topic by the way Mr Demo Etc

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Whoa! Better get some earplugs! After half an hour or so of high volume, you don't even know they're there.

But for me, playing bass, I think I tend to focus in on the hi-hats and the kick (obvious on the kick) and if it's not hats, then it's the ride -- like you said, a work of art.

When I'm doing the guitarist's role, I tend to listen to the snare and kick.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

As a six-stringer, I focus on the bass drum because its low frequency. Besides, it cuts through pretty well.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

Yeah, I'm gonna get some earplugs. I find that I can actually hear everything better with them in.
We don't practice at particularly high volumes, it's just that the room is so small...

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I'm gonna get some earplugs. I find that I can actually hear everything better with them in.
We don't practice at particularly high volumes, it's just that the room is so small...

oh yah, I gotcha, I gotcha. Everything just sorta splashes all over the place and fills up every inch of air. Yah. Great to have the bass drum right there though.

I too think it's sort of an interesting topic. More of a 'how do YOU do it' rather than 'what do you do it WITH' sort of thing.

It's just that over the years I've noticed myself listening to different parts of the rhythm section depending on whether I happen to be the bass player in a band or the guitarist in another. It's almost subconscious, but to bring it out and make it conscious, maybe'll help somebody out somewhere.

I kinow it has for me. Like I go "Okay, I'm the bass-guy today" on a recording, and I start thinking like a bassist straight away. Then for the next track I'll have to switch gears and be 'the guitar guy.'

It's kinda fun, but also fun to hear what other people have to say about their experiences.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Funny, I was talking to this really incredible singer (my wife), and she said that she, as well as a lot of singers she knows, always focus on the drumkit in general. She obviously listens to the guitars and bass and all that, but it's the drums that cue everything.

Drummers out there, BE CAREFUL! You have to always be aware of how powerful you are!!

Hehehe....

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

I always tend to focus on whatever seems to be the most constant thing in any song. One drummer I play with is great at improvising and using syncopation so I have to listen hard and figure out what he isn't messing around with so I can keep decent time. Then again when jamming with a certain other drummer I try to ignore him as much as possible, so I can have some slight chance of keeping time. :twisted: :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Then again when jamming with a certain other drummer I try to ignore him as much as possible, so I can have some slight chance of keeping time. :twisted: :twisted:

Haahaaa, I think we both know the same guy!

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

Haahaaa, I think we both know the same guy!

Woe unto us both, eh?

ReplyQuote