Clear all

1st Acoustic Guitar to buy?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jmchakedis)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

I'm new to playing and have been jammin on my electric for about 5 months and taking lessons. I want to get an acoustic to play a lot of different songs and styles, and need some help deciding.

I've been to many guitar stores and am looking to spend under $300 on a guitar that I can continue to learn on and beat up. Its come down to an
Yamaha FG-04, or an Epiphone AJ-200S (both solid top).

Any comments on either guitar? Does it really matter what I get as long as it has a solid top? Any other guitars worth looking into? Thanks :lol:

(@hawken)
Trusted Member

I like the way you're thinking, definitely go with a solid top.

I think they both make nice acoustics...just try to play the one you take home so you can make sure you like the way it has been set up.

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I purcahsed my Yamaha FG 04LTD at guitar center almost a year ago, I play it everyday and I'm very satisfied. My guitar teacher has commented a couple times on how nice it sounds. The set up was good from the factory it's very easy to play. It's a nice looking guitar, I like the Englemann spruce top, the abalone rosette and headstock logo, the fretboard is bound.

Have fun with your new guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Alvarez makes great guitars. I bought mine new, $400 on sale for $250. Great buy, definately worth considering. I've never used either of those, but when it comes to an acoustic the only person who can tell you what's right for you is you, since there's nothing to them. If you like how it sounds, buy it. Just compare it with other stuff first. :D

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@jmchakedis)
Topic starter  

Awesome, thanks for the quick responses. I really like the Epiphone and the sunburst finish on it, but i think the Yamaha sounds better. They are both $199 at http://www.music123.com , so they Yamaha is the winner. Thanks everyone.

Jeff

ReplyQuote
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member

I have an Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry (Laminate top) which i'm very happy with. They also make solid tops for a little more. In my opinion they are the best quality per dollar. BUT DONT LET THE SALESMAN SCREW YOU

Just make sure you check it over really good before you buy it because I got screwed over buy the guitar store when I bought mine. I'd never played before and didn't notice the guitar had a high fret. (maybe that is why the guitar was hidden in the storage room instead of on display) anyway, it had a high fret which being a totally new player i didn't notice until a couple days. The guy who sold me the guitar refused to acknowledge there was anything wrong with and refused to use anything but his eye to check it. I took it to a 3rd party repair shop and they called him and told him the fret was high and he immediately agreed to fix it. But instead of going back to him i payed the repair shopt 60 dollars to level all the frets. I am very happy with it now. i payed 180$ for the guitar +60$ for the fret job which equals $240 and it plays better than a 400 dollar guitar I looked at the other day.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

For 330 there's a Seagull S6 acoustic which is incredible for the money BTW. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

i got a fender dg21-s for 300.00 and it has a really nice sound.as long as i'm not playing it :oops:

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote