Clear all

2-hand tapping help

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Can someone give me some tips on how to make the actually tapping ring out. When I tap, it doesn't really ring out right.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Check out Nick's video lesson on tapping.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I also have the problem with ringing out the tap, when I tap it sounds dead.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Which part of the tapping is it that's not ringing out? The hammer on with the tapping hand, the release with the tapping hand, the hammer with the fretting hand, or the pull-off with the fretting hand? Maybe if you analyze your tapping and figure out which part isisn't working, you could focus on that. Good tapping is all about making sure that each step of the tapping sequence is solidly doing what it should. If it's the actual tap (that is, hammer-on with the tapping hand) that isin't ringing out, just make sure that you're reallying hammering down hard and staying home with it long enough to hear the tap. Oh, and having a good amount of volume and distortion helps too (though it's not necessary, it helps when you're learning...and just sounds awesome!) :wink:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Yep, a lot of gain helps 8) .

But the most important thing is that you hit the first note in the tapping sequence hard so the rest of the notes ring out clearly. And close to the actual fret (where you would usually finger the note with your left hand).

I practiced tapping last week. I used my middle finger but quickly noticed I got a big blister on my middle finger. That is how hard you have to tap. When I got the blister I just continued with my pointer :lol: .

It could help if you select the bridge pickup for higher output also.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

yeah my problem is on the tap.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I got the same blister as NIckalroos, but I kept up with the middle finger, even though it was a bit painful, and now I have a nice callus, so the tapping rings out even louder and clearer than it did before. So I guess I'm saying, just keep at it, it will come :smile:

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@girly)

turning up the gain helped me big time!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The problem with that is that, while it covers mistakes a bit, it creates a blur. A more effective, (IMHO!) way would be to compress the signal a lot. This would mean you can use less strenght while still getting a powerfull and defined sound. This is espescially true for those with solidstate amps, those with tube amps can just follow eddy and keep the gain low (eddy barely uses any gain for Eruption) and pump the master up, creating a more natural tube compression. Add a slight stereo ping-pong delay and add a phaser and you're good to go. :)

ReplyQuote
(@girly)

the gain drastically covers up my mistakes. i'll try the other suggestions to see about perfecting it.

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Well, I've only got a solid state :( . It's just fine for me now. It seems like it's a lot of work with tube amps. Nah, that's only an excuse 'cause I can't afford one :P .

Seriously though, If you want to have a tube amp that handles metal distortion you have to be rich it seems like.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote