Clear all

2nd Guitar; Electric

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've been happily strumming my Yamaha f-310 for the past six months and now I'm interested in buying an electric. The problem is that I know almost nothing about them. I'm looking for a sound similar to that of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and STP. Could anyone tell me what I would need to get the desired sound and give a brief explaination on why you chose what you did? I'm thinking of spending in the range of $500, but I'm willing to go slightly above that.

(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Dude!!!! For 500 u can get a top shelf electric! You can get a very good one for that. For example a Les Paul Studio which costs around 650$.

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

Don't forget the amp in the budgeting process.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

and the hardshell case.

You might check out Washburn -- great electrics in your range. I don't know how to tell you to think about that particular sound you want though. If these bands use a lot of alternate tunings though, you should look for a fixed bridge and avoid a floating bridge.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

What Kind of music do you want to play,and How much do you want to spend on a amp :?:

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for a grungy sound like the bands listed. The $500 is the price I am willing to spend on everything, guitar, amp, cables, etc..., but I could save a little longer if something really catches my eye.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I would recommend a Schecter Blackjack or C-1 Artist ($500-550) as high quality guitars in that range with that kind of sound. Great build quality and components and I find Schecters to be one of the smootest playing and sounding guitars in the low to lower middle price range.. As long as you don't mind black. The other C-1 models are nice, too, if you want a different look, but some have lesser, but still nice, components.
The PRS SE models that Guitar Center has just started to carry are also very good for $500. Real pretty, well made, easy playing, and check out the P-90 pickup model, that has a real nice sound.

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

O.K. then, you are going to want a guitar with humbuckers, you are also going to want one that is capable of drop tunings. now do you want a hardcore rock guitar or a more all around guitar, and do you want a tremolo arm (A.K.A. whamy bar).

"The answer is practice.
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

O.K. then, you are going to want a guitar with humbuckers, you are also going to want one that is capable of drop tunings. now do you want a hardcore rock guitar or a more all around guitar, and do you want a tremolo arm (A.K.A. whamy bar).

"The answer is practice.
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Schecter Omen 6 about $300 that leaves $200 for an amp.
The Omen 6 has dual Humbuckers and produces the sound you are after.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

if you're not counting the amp, case, etc. get a Jag-Stang. That was Kurt Cobain's (guitarist and vocalist for nirvana if you didnt know) signature guitar. Before that, he mainly used old Fender Mustangs and Jaguars. I dont know about Pearl Jam and the rest though.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I recommend the ltd line from ESP

Youll probably want to invest in a good distortion or efx pedal too!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

What would the difference be between dual humbuckers and a humbucker with a single coil pickup? What do you mean by capable of drop tunings? I know what they are, but how would I know if a certain guitar is? I'm not exactly sure about a tremolo arm, I know a bit about them, but could anyone tell me how they work and an example of one being used?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ok All guitars are capable of drop tuning, period.
That is just a matter of changing where certain strings are tuned.
That being said, guitars without fixed bridges are more dificult to keep in tune.
A guitar with a tremelo arm is not a fixed bridge. Some with tremelo have a bridge that can be locked when not using the arm and then act like a fixed bridge.
The way the arm works is it moves the bridge in and out changing the pitch of whats being played (some people call it a whammy bar, and when used can give a certain wa,wa, effect somewhat similar to bending the strings)
Personally I don't care for tremolo arms and tend to stay away from them.
Again this is only my own opinion.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks missleman for clearing that up. I was looking to buy one with a fixed bridge in the first place, but I'll have to try it out in the store to be sure.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2