3/4 or 4/4?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I've been looking for my first electric and some are listed as 3/4 and some at 4/4.

Ok, I'm pretty sure that it's the size - that is 1/2 is probably half size etc etc. I'm assuming that 4/4 is a full size guitar and most suited for adult consumption, but just want to make sure...

Thanks.

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

(@alangreen)

Correctomundo

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

They're not literal, though - a 3/4 size guitar is about 9% smaller than a full size.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

On this subject - is there much difference between a 7/8 and a 4/4?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

No.

3/4 is the largest non-standard size. I've seen a few guitars marketed as "7/8", but they're really just the smaller of the two standard scale lengths - the standard Fender is 25-1/2" from nut to saddle, the standard Gibson is 24-3/4". So guitars made using the Gibson standard are slightly smaller - but they're still considered "full size"

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

Interesting. Thanks NoteBoat.

ReplyQuote