Clear all

41 and just starting

71 Posts
47 Users
0 Likes
10.2 K Views
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

my son loves the fact , him and his friends can jam with me they are 12 and I'm 40 they are so amazed when I plug in the amp and play thunder struck by AC/DC

40 + we have it over the youngsters in oh so many ways

I am teaching them to do the same

and the guitar can be so sexy like said before

enjoy

playing can be like making love so wonderful and so exciting

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@red_dwarf)
Trusted Member

I'm 40 and took my first lesson over a year ago. I fooled around on a guitar when I was a teen, picking up the guitar maybe half an hour per year because I had no patience then. This is a good time indeed to start. My father did the same thing with the guitar, picking it up now and then, playing for 1/2 a minute, fooling around. He see's how much progress I've made in over a year and can't believe it. I told him to take lessons but he says he's too old (he's 65). I guess the moral of the story is, just start doing it now!

"The whole purpose in life is to not be bored"

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

better?

:D

Thank you sir, sometimes those things can be frustrating.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I told him to take lessons but he says he's too old (he's 65).
My guitar instructor has a student who took his first lesson at 68, he's now in his early 70's still taking lessons and loving it.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@petesdad)

48 and enjoying it! Been playing just over 4 months and think I'm making fair progress and I guess that's what matters. I found it helps to get a reasonable guitar, it dosn't have to be expensive, just playable. I started to learn a couple of times in the past on cheap 'n' nasty guitars and just lost heart after a couple of days.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

One more old phart here. I'm 49 and started when I was 45. I just don't sound like I've been playing that long. I'm having fun, though!
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

This looks like the perfect place for this story.

I started playing two years ago at age 43. Still consider myself a beginner, but...

My kids asked for instruments for Christmas. A keyboard for my seven year-old daughter and drums for my six year-old son (we got lots of concerned stares from other parents as we hauled those out of Costco).

Anyway, I took the kids to a restaurant yesterday and the waitress was asking what they got for Christmas. They told her and she asked whether it was my wife or me who was musically inclined. My daughter, God love her, piped up and said oh so proudly...

"My dad plays electric guitar!"

So I'll no longer consider myself a beginner. I now play guitar. :D

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Just keep working at the song. All the advice about chord changing is right on target.

Eventually muscle memory takes over and you'll begin to change chords without thinking about it. That's when the changes start to become smoother. Once you've played a change about 501 times. It will happen.

Does it really take about 500 times.

Yes, but its worth it. And this would be for only one chord change! Be patient, it will happen all in good time...

By the way, I'm 41, with a year and a half of guitar lessons. I've got three guitars, and three harmonicas; and I want to add a flute. I played a flute in school over a quarter century ago...( :wink: )

~Ghost~

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Go for it guy!

Just remember bagpipes and caliopies can get the neghbors upset. I tried to convince my wife I needed a caliopie a few years ago and she told me if the neghbors didn't shoot me she would.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Good to see such a big forty- and fifty-something beginners' club. I'm 47 and have been at it about 8 months. I seem to take better to the guitar than other pastimes, for instance, golf. I could probably spend a whole day telling you why guitar appeals to me more than golf. (Maybe I can start a new thread on that subject.)

Since I started, I have now joined the guitar group at church, and I inspired a friend of mine who used to play years ago to pick the instrument back up, and we were talking on new years' about playing this local bar that has open mic's on Tuesday nights.

One thing about being older - my kids are grown now, no more soccer games or scout meetings- I find I have more time now to devote to a hobby like guitar, which does require a regular time commitment to make it work.

At least you don't have to spend a whole afternoon and $40 greens fees!

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@aodor)
Eminent Member

Hi all:
I'm 52, thus I get the Senior title here.
I'm comming back to the guitar after 20+ years. Fortunately, changing chords came automaticaly and in speed, so once you have it, you don't lose much of it even if you stop playing.

Being a "chord player" through highschool and college I'm now concentrating on really learning to play the guitar (chords, scales, arpegios, intervals, etc)

Don´t give up, we might even form the oldies band.

============
Alberto Odor, MD
Mexico City
============

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hi aodor, I don't think you get the senior title.....although I don't know who does.

We have 4 members that are 75 plus. :shock:

Who is the King of the Geezers?

Step right up and stake your claim. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Roy Ackuff and Grandpa Jones were both playing the Opry up untill a few months before they passed away, both well into their ninties.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

This looks like the perfect place for this story.

I started playing two years ago at age 43. Still consider myself a beginner, but...

My kids asked for instruments for Christmas. A keyboard for my seven year-old daughter and drums for my six year-old son (we got lots of concerned stares from other parents as we hauled those out of Costco).

Anyway, I took the kids to a restaurant yesterday and the waitress was asking what they got for Christmas. They told her and she asked whether it was my wife or me who was musically inclined. My daughter, God love her, piped up and said oh so proudly...

"My dad plays electric guitar!"

So I'll no longer consider myself a beginner. I now play guitar. :D

That one brought a smile to my face, man. Thanks :)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

... I could probably spend a whole day telling you why guitar appeals to me more than golf. (Maybe I can start a new thread on that subject.)

Hehe, the first thing that came to mind was that, with guitar, if you drop your pick, it's like 'right there' on the floor in front of you. With golf, you hit the ball and it's waaaaay over there, and then you have to go walk over there to get it. :)

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5