Notifications
Clear all

5th String Power Chords

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mjt1111)
Topic starter  

Hi, I was just wondering what the best way to finger a 5th string power chord is in standard tuning? Currently the way I do it is to barre all six strings with my index finger, but in a way that mutes the treble strings, mute the low E string with my middle finger and my ring (and pinky when required) pressing on the other note(s). This seems fairly hard to me, what other ways are there?? Which way do most people use???

(@Anonymous)

I use a double barre with the index across all the strings (except low E) and ring finger over the rest. The tip of your index can mute the low E very easily. Also if you learn to control your picking hand you should have to worry about muting the treble strings. The double barre may take a bit to get used to (it took me a few weeks) but it is the fastest. I use the same for 6th string power chords as well. I know I should also practice the 3 finger method since it helps is moving to other chords (open and barre) but it is challenging for me,

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I fret the A string with my index finger, using the tip to mute the E string. I'll use my ring finger for the D (and, maybe, G) string. Normally, I'll just mute the G string with my ring finger.
Then, I'll try to strum just the A and D strings. If I'm a bit sloppy, I've got one string either side to buffer bad notes.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I fret the A string with my index finger, using the tip to mute the E string. I'll use my ring finger for the D (and, maybe, G) string. Normally, I'll just mute the G string with my ring finger.
Then, I'll try to strum just the A and D strings. If I'm a bit sloppy, I've got one string either side to buffer bad notes.

Ditto for me 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@mjt1111)
Topic starter  

thanks for the help!!!

ReplyQuote