6- or 7-string for a beginner?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 kc87
(@kc87)
Topic starter  

Hello guys,

I'm a guitar beginner surveying the turf, and for a few months I will be borrowing a friend's classical guitar when I'm just learning the basics. If I enjoy it and want to continue I will transition to an electric guitar, but wonder if a 6- or 7-string electric is best for a beginner.

I really love the 7-string's ability to dip into a wider range of notes, which I really want the ability to play because much of the music I enjoy uses them. On one hand, I think getting a 7-string guitar could be a better investment in the long term. But because I'm such a beginner and will be largely self-taught, I'm limited to lesson books and videos that are usually designed for 6-string guitars. I played piano for many years and though that will probably help with the learning curve of music theory, I don't want to get a guitar that might confuse things when I'm just starting out if the lesson materials won't match.

So my question is, is it advisable for a beginner to start out with a 7-string guitar? Is it possible to ignore the 7th string when strumming and modify the placement of your left hand when using traditional lesson books? Or does the 7th string change things so much that it would be really difficult to learn from when you're just starting out?

(@alangreen)

There's no reason you shouldn't start with a 7-string if that's what you like. Have a word with a few local teachers and get some face-to-face lesson time with one to get you off and running with one.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 kc87
(@kc87)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice, Alan!

ReplyQuote
(@guitaranswerguy)

Completely agree with Alan: Buy the kind of guitar that will allow you to play the kind of music you ultimately want to play.

I switched exclusively to 7-str guitars about 8 years ago and I will say this: despite the popularity of 7's, it's still a bit of a challenge to find teachers, learning resources, etc. that are native to 7-str guitars. Don't let that stop you though, it's fairly easy to extrapolate those things to a 7. I don't regret the switch at all. You'll love playing 7's.

THE GUITAR ANSWER GUY
Helping beginners learn to do their own basic guitar care & maintenance.
The Blog
On Twitter

ReplyQuote
(@randycook)

Try to look at the review on different guitars here - https://musirank.com/best-acoustic-guitar/ . I found a lot of useful

ReplyQuote