A chord

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

One diagram shows it using the 1,2,3 fingers; another diagram shows 2,3,4 fingers. Is one "better" than the other? Should I do it which ever feels more comfortable to me? This is my first chord using Pinky, if that's the way I should go. If 1,2,3 is "wrong", I don't want to develope a bad habit that will effect speed or precision later on.

G W Roach (Don't BUG me while I'm practicing!)

(@rodders)
Noble Member

Whatever your comfortable with GWR, thats the best way. I only normally use two fingers as I can fret all three strings quite easily that way. You may see some guitarists just using one finger, as a mini barre.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Rod, I've been trying the 2 string 1 finger deal, but I guess I'm not ready for that yet. Gary

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The way I play an A chord pretty much depends on where I'm going next.....if it's, say an E chord, I'll probably use fingers 1,2 and 3 - but if it's, say Bm or C#m, I'll play it with fingers 2,3 and 4 so my 1st finger is free for the barre. However, having said that. I've also developed a way of playing it with fingers 1 & 2, leaving fingers 3 and 4 free to add embellishments....

Plan ahead - work out where you're going after the A chord, then you'll know which fingering to use 99% of the time....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I always use 2, 3 and 4 because you don't have any choice in the matter when you're barring an A-shape halfway up the neck

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I teach new students to use 2, 3 & 4 as those three fingers take up slightly less room than 1, 2 & 3. When a complete newbie is trying for the first time to squeeze three fingertips into the same fret without them spilling over onto adjacent open strings, every millimetre counts.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm mostly with Vic. It depends on what's coming next.

I usually play an open A with 1,2 & 3 - but not in that order - I use 2, 1,3 as I have trouble fitting them in otherwise. Apparently that's not uncommon. It also makes moving to D or E really easy.

If it's a barre, then I'm with Alan - 2,3,4.

There are some chords I always play the same way, but there are many that I have more than one fingering version for, depending on the context - i.e what comes next and also how many strings I'll actually be playing. It's very often not necessary to play all the possible strings in the full chord, so a 'cut down' version is just fine.

Other times I go for the full richness and use a different fingering accordingly. F and C are good examples - some people only use a three finger pattern for them, others use four. I do both, depending on how much time I have and what sound I'm after.

G is another chord that you'll see different advice about. Many people like to use the naturally strongest 3 fingers, so go for 2, 1, 3. But you'll also see 3, 2, 4 recommended by some books. The latter is a lot harder at first, but if you've got (for instance) a G to G7 change it's a breeze because you can just alternate the pinky and index finger and leave the other two where they are.

Once your fingers get stronger individually and also freer at landing chord changes you'll probably find you can increase your range of options - so I'd start with whatever you like the best, based on whichever reasoning appeals to you. :)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

If you are talking about open A I usually barre it with either my index finger or my ring finger.

And that barre goes with me up and down the neck for that matter.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

If I try to barre it, wouldn't that muffle the high E string?

ReplyQuote
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I'm trying it both ways. Right now I'm switching 'tween the open A and open D with an Em thrown in every now and then. In this instance, it's easier using 1,2, and, 3 on the A as it makes the move to both the D and Em easier. Cowabunga!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I wasn't very clear. :oops: I can bend my finger away from the high E string so that only the BGD strings get fretted (on the second fret). Been using that technique since I was a wee one. In other instances the E might get muted but the 3 basic notes are still there. Hey, it's rock and roll. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I wasn't very clear. :oops: I can bend my finger away from the high E string so that only the BGD strings get fretted (on the second fret). Been using that technique since I was a wee one. In other instances the E might get muted but the 3 basic notes are still there. Hey, it's rock and roll. :D
But I like it!

ReplyQuote
(@llynix)
Eminent Member

How about x07650

Usually I just use the 123, but I've been trying to incorporate the above A.. it sounds more open to me.

One man, one guitar, one website, one ditty a day. - http://onedittyaday.com

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

I like that...it's clean-sounding. 213 works so well with the open E-A-D changes, but I like the sound of that 765.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
 GWR
(@gwr)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yup, the 213 does make the changes a bit easier, especialy 'tween A and Em. The x0765x sounds good, but it's a little to much movement for me now. I'm also having a hard time spreading my fingers for some of the chords that span 3 frets. Hope that improves.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2