Notifications
Clear all

A Chord with Ring Finger Hyper-extended

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@40somethingnewbie)
Topic starter  

My guitar instructor plays the A chord and other barre chords with the root on the 5th string with his ring finger hyper-extended to cover the three strings. He is trying to get me to do this, but my finger just doesn't bend very far. Is this something that will come with time? Or should I just give up trying?

Thanks! Great website!

Jennifer

(@telemarker)
Trusted Member

Welcome to the forum, Jennifer!

I think "most" guitarists are able to do this, so I'd keep trying. There's other ways around it if it does prove to be impossible for you. You can use your 2nd 3rd and 4th fingers instead of hyper-extending your ring finger - classical players do it this way.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

You don't need it for the open A chord, but you will need it for the A shaped barre chords. However, if you think there's no way you can do it that way (I think you can), there are other ways to finger the A shaped barre chords. One of which being using the pinky, ring and the middle fingers - one on each string - and barring the rest with the index finger.

Practice makes perfect. Well.. at least sorta perfect :P

oktay

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

No advice here.. but WELCOME to GN

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

It comes with time. Trust me. I have small hands(quit giggling :evil: ). At first I had to use the "traditional" methods for all chords but over time you will find different ways to plays the "common" chords.

This is helpful since each different fingering you learn you will also find a different tonality to that particular chord. So this can come into play when doing certain chord changes.

Example--

A C to G change for any eagles song will be better suited to these chords.

"eagles" C
el--3
Bl--3
Gl--0
Dl--2
Al--3
El--X(0)

"eagles" G
el--3
Bl--3
Gl--0
Dl--0
Al--2
El--3

But you would use traditional fingerings for the C and G chords on the Song NutShell (actually you will be playing a "suggested" C7) by Alice in Chains.
or Over the hills andfar away by Zep would use a more traditional approach.

ReplyQuote
(@40somethingnewbie)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all of the quick replies and the encouragement. I'll keep trying!

Jennifer

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

It takes a bit to be able to do that. I posted this same question a few months ago. It's all I use now and I can change quickly. One day it will just happen.

Welcome to GN

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

I forgot! Welcome :oops:

ReplyQuote