Notifications
Clear all

A couple of questions from a newbie

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@squibb)
Topic starter  

So since this is my first post, I'll introduce myself. I have been playing guitar for about 2-3 years now, although I've been playing seriously only for about a year. Eventually I hope to pursue some sort of a career in music, based on the fact that I have found guitar to be endlessly enjoyable and I can see myself playing for the rest of my days, even if it's just local gigs. I've been looking at obtaining a whole new setup lately; a Les Paul Studio, a Tonelab LE, and maybe some speakers of some sort, although at the moment my 25ish wat amp will do. So my question is, how safe would I be buying my Gibson off of a site like musiciansfriend.com or something like that. If it is brand new it would just go from the Gibson factory>to a warehouse> to me...right? The tonelab I'm not worried about because it's digital and not as finicky as a guitar, and I could probably get it reliably on E bay even.

Alright, my second question isn't exactly a question, just something I'd like to get out because I haven't had a chance to talk to many other fellow guitar players. :P My style of playing kind of stems from how I play/learn, which is usually just me playing, whatever I happen to know, I know what sound is in my head and I can usually make the guitar emulate it. This gives a sort of conflict though because I never learn anyone else's songs, and I know very little theory. A fellow player owns a tonelab SE and says that it has actually improved upon his style and playing, as his play style emulates the sound of the tonelab . So right now my game plan for my playing is to study more scales from my Guitar Grimoire, learn some theory from the guitar class that just opened up at my high school, and make an effort to learn some tab. Can anyone else give me some tips, or maybe ask some probing questions about my playing and then give me some tips based on my answers O_o. Anything will help :D

"head in the clouds, feet on the ground"

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the musical madhouse!

I've never bought an instrument online, so I can't respond to that question.

It sounds like you've got a decent set of learning goals for yourself now. I'm glad to read that you'll be taking a guitar class. I think you'll find your goals change over time -- which is a natural part of everyone's development as a player.

Most of all, have fun.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

To answer your question about buying a guitar online - my personal experience is that it is very safe. All the big online sites have no questions asked money back guarantees for 30 days or so. Check the one you are dealing with to be sure.

What you will not get, is the chance to try the guitar before it gets to you. For me, that wasn't a problem because I just send it back if I don't like it. Over the past few years, I have sent back a few guitars, including a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe that was nice, but just not "for me." They took it back with no questions & refunded the money to my credit card.

Here is a quick list of the good/bad of buying online:

1. A "new" guitar is USUALLY sent in a sealed box, the same one it was shipped from the factory to the online warehouse in. A "new" guitar in a music store can hang on the wall for months, with God knows how many people messing with it. (I say "usually" because on 2 occassions an online site sent me guitars that were clearly returns - they are supposed to sell them as "open box" or "blem" guitars, at a discount).

2. You can't try the guitar out before buying it. At a store, you can try several of the same model & pick the "best" one.

3. Purchasing online means you have to wait a week or so until it arrives. Believe me, that can feel like FOREVER!

4. Some stores will negotiate the price a little lower than the tagged price.

Good luck

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

CFB is right. Buying online is safe if you're buying from someone as reputable as Musician's Friend. You've always got 30 days to return for a full refund even if the color isn't the exact shade you had in mind. I bought my Washburn from them and it came completely set up and ready to go (after a quick tune!). I buy quite a few things through MF and have had to return a couple. There was no hassle, no questions, they just gave me my money back.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

2. You can't try the guitar out before buying it. At a store, you can try several of the same model & pick the "best" one.

3. Purchasing online means you have to wait a week or so until it arrives. Believe me, that can feel like FOREVER!

Good luck
I got my classical used from the Guitar Center. Thinking I'm walking out the door I was told it has to be held so the police can check the hotsheet. Now this wasn't a little pawn shop but one of the big chains. I had been playing that particular guitar for a couple of months before I bought it. It seemed strange that they wait until its sold to check it out for theft.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Man, I've bought tons online including several guitars. I enjoy shopping online because of the vast selection and availability of products. Sometimes your local music store does not carry a line of product you are interested in.

That said, I am not a super-picky type. I am not the type that fusses over small defects. Now if you are a person who is really demanding, then I would not shop online. I have never had a problem and never returned anything, but like I said, I do not demand perfection. I would return a major defect. Read the store's policy carefully. You cannot take a guitar out and play it for a week putting belt buckle scratches on the back. They expect you to return the item in the same condition you received it. Some sites charge a re-stocking fee. So read carefully before buying online. But myself, I really enjoy buying online and have had nothing but good experiences.

As to your second question, you really should be open to playing other people's music or covers. You will be very limited if you only play your own music. But continue to write your own music, to make it big in music you have to write your own songs. Work on this all the time.

I would not buy the Tonelab as a tool to learn music. The Tonelab is a modeler and effects unit. It will provide you with many classic tones you have heard on recordings over the years. And sometimes a particular tone will inspire you to write in a certain style.

You have to ask yourself what kinds of sounds you are after. If you love the Blues, you would want a good tube amp, you really don't need dozens of effects. But if you are into a variety of sounds, then a multi-efx is great. So start with an idea of what kinds of sounds you are after.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I've made few online purchases and I haven't been burned. One place even credited me $35 for a setup in my local shop when I called and told them it was needed (sorry I forgot which place that was). The mandolin I bought from Elderly Instruments was set up perfectly in their shop before they shipped it, but then again foreign made mandos are notorious for needing setups.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I own some 20 guitars and have bought most online .... that said my Les Paul Studio was purchased at my local music store. :lol: I have bought a Les Paul online though, it was a Special and I was totally satisfied with it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@squibb)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info, I think I am going to go and buy it online, as I'd have to drive to a major city to find a good enough music store that will hold one.

"head in the clouds, feet on the ground"

ReplyQuote