Skip to content
A Couple Of Questio...

Notifications
Clear all

A Couple Of Questions (Need Help! ~Please~)

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@howyadoin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there!

I have a couple of questions. I've been playing the guitar for 7 1/2 years now. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me out.

I've been trying to play the really fast riff in the beginning of "Don't Stop Believin" by Journey for a couple months now....But I still can't get it to sound like the recording. I want it to be perfect. I got the muted part of the riff down, but I can't seem to get the part that's not muted. I'm fast, but not fast enough. I just need to get a little faster for it to sound correct. When I alternate pick (or play a solo), my picking hand usually rests on the strings. My question is.....Is this what's slowing me down? Is this a bad habit (my picking hand resting on the strings while I play)? Should I lift my hand off the strings while I play or am I fine? If I lift my hand off the strings while I play, will this improve my speed or not? If so, by how much (alot or little) will my speed improve?

And also, I've been trying to play the solo to "Any Way You Want It", also by Journey. I can't get this solo down either....I'm just slow. Any tips on playing solos?

Thanks!

Yours Truly,
Michelle

P.S. At what level do you think the beginning riff of "Don't Stop Believin'" and the solo to "Anyway You Want It" is (Intermediate or Advanced) ?

NEAL SCHON = AWSOME GUITARIST!!!!