Clear all

A Few Questions

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is it possible to learn all of the open chords within a day?

When you know the chords with muscle memory do you have to learn them again.. like, say you've been learning chord changes like C to A to G, and can do that fast but now you want to use like, C, Am, D.. could you do it straight away without doing the chord changes slowly? If you know what I mean.

When you learn standing up.. do you're fingers know where to go, but just have to get used to the new position of the guitar?

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

1. No
2. It will generally become easier and easier to learn new chords. The changes come faster too. However, I'd say you still have to practice completely new changes slowly. I still need to do that when I come across chord changes I've never seen before - try looking at some good transcriptions of bossa songs...
3. Never thought of that. Think strumming hand postition is more of an issue

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

hey

I have been learning for over a year and I will state right now I still look to see where my fingers are going , even a simple change like ...

G to C to D

I still look and watch that I'm getting it right , so one day I do not believe is achievable ...

p.s

he aint that hott :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: ( lol )

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

Chlozo, if by open chords you mean the 15 or so most commonly used ones...

http://www.skepticalguitarist.com/volume1.htm#15

...just memorizing the fingering will probably take a few days at the minimum. Took me a few weeks or more for the most common of these 15.

Even when I know the chords individually by muscle memory, I'll still have to practice the changes between them to get good, and if I've already done a particular chord change many times before, I'll still need a few minutes of practising it (warm-up) to be able to do it at my full speed.

hilch, if you practice a single chord change to a metronome, at a slow tempo, for long enough (several combined sittings), you'll eventually be able to do it without looking. It's important to relax your fretting arm, shoulder, and hand & fingers...muscle tension is the enemy. Keep at it, it just takes a lot of time.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Chlozo,

I have been playing for 6 months and sometimes I can play open chords with out looking and sometimes not. If I get into a "groove" then it's easy. Other days I struggle just to get my fingers off the strings to move them to the next chord.

I practice chord changes EVERYDAY for a warmup and then again while working on strumming with a drum machine. I also include barre chords in my warmup everyday. I can change to a barre chord using the drum machine SOMETIMES but only at like 60-70 bpm (usually 70...60 when using other strums besides DDDD).

ReplyQuote
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

I got over having to look at my fingers by practicing in the dark a few times.

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

ReplyQuote
(@aaaah)

Just like swimming, or rideing a bike, it all comes back and the functions kick in after a few seconds.
As for the standing up thing, yes.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

If you know the song and chord changes well --- stop looking. You will be surprised at the result.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if you pay attention while learning eventually it all falls into place.

it is the same thing as driving a car. the very first time there is so much to think about. a few years later your looking out the window at girls, tuning a radio dial, thinking about work, watching traffic all at the same time.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote