Clear all

a guitar for a 12 yr old?

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My 12 yr old daughter is seriously interested in learning to play. I'm not experienced enough to teach her much, but we could learn together.

My dilemma is that she is a small kid, but not tiny. Most of the youth guitars I see are really small.

I saw a Washburn (new) in a pawn shop here in town, I believe they were $129, including hard case(cardboard style). I picked up about 10 of them, and found a couple that played WAY WAY WAY nicer than my Fender. That made ME want one. But they are a full body acoustic, and that is still a little on the large side.

Do you think I'd be better to get her something that she's likely to grow into? I mean the thing seems like a steal. I'm sure she could make due, and the action was fantastic.

When I take her to the guitar shop, she likes them all. She doesn't really have a lot of preference yet. I was thinking of picking one up for her as a gift.

Perhaps I'd be better off getting her a Martin Backpacker or something like that? :wink:

"Never holster an unloaded weapon, it's just poor form." - Col. Jeff Cooper

(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

definetely not a backpacker, thos are super-hard to play, besides the tension and the action, the body shape is jsut very funky to hold onto

I think a 3/4 would be a good bet, they're a little larger than regular student guitars, many companies make them, just ask your guitar shop for a 3/4 guitar

a 12 year old can learn on a full-size, but many technique problems(bent wrists etc)will occur

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

I know that takamine makes a 3/4 size classical. It's part of thier Jasmine line. I bought one of their 1/2 size for my six year old, and it's a decent guitar. Only problem is, she wants one with "real" strings like daddy's.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Here's a link you might be interested in.

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/GoEstore/student-guitar.htm

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Nope - she's too big for a 3/4 size.

Go for parlour size - it'll always be good no matter how big she grows.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Man OdieWan,

When I first saw this subject line, I thought it said "A guitar or a 12 year old." and I thought to myself, "well... that's a no-brainer." But a guitar for a 12 year old... that's much trickier. Unfortunately, I can't offer any suggestions. However, I promised my daughters (11 & 13 ) that if they brought home straight A's, I'd buy them a guitar. So I'd be curious to hear what you find out. Keep us posted, eh?

-- Scratch 8)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I was at Guitar Center yesterday, and looked at an Olympia for my nine year old, it seemed like it would be perfect, not sure if it was 1/2 or 3/4 size, but a child could of easliy played it, they also had a small yamaha (I like Yamaha's) but the Olympia had a fuller sound, it nice tuners, price was 99 dollars. I wouldnt mind having one myself. maybe you can check them out, If you dont have a Guitar Center close maybe you can check them or olympia out on line. I hope you and your daughter find the right guitar, and have a great time learning together.

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Is your daughter set on getting an acoustic? Or would she be open to getting an electric to start out on? I bought my sister an electric guitar for her 13th birthday. It was so much easier for her to handle the thinner neck, not to mention she didn't have to try and wrap her arms around a huge acoustic body.
Good luck in your search!

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

a guitar for a 12 yr old? Sounds like a great deal to me! :P

Anyway, I don't think a 3/4 would be good. Just go regular size, let her have proper lessons so she doesn't get injuries to her wrist, and soon she'll be old enough to just properly play it. A 3/4 seems rather pointless at this point. By the time she's used to it she'll want a regular one.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Try the Art&Lutherie Ami pro parlor guitar. It's inexpensive, really well built and just the right size.

ReplyQuote
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Wow, do you really think she could damage her wrist? I never thought of that.

I was thinking she could just work around a regular size guitar too, as she has been learning chords on my DG11 and a Strat/clone.

She likes electric. The reason I recommended acoustic first, is because of not needing any additional equipment that we don't already have, and because I'd like to encourage her to be a well rounded guitarist. I guess I thought that by learning on an acoustic, our hands and fingers would be stronger, and that an electric would really clean up our fingerings later on, after we build some hand strength.

Is this logic incorrect?

Today I saw a Washburn that was $80 at another pawn shop, it was TINY. But WOW did it sound nice, and the action was pretty darn good too.

They had a new Backpacker there :) I think those are cool, I want one for myself.

I've always been told that to become the best guitar player I can, it would be smart to start on an acoustic, learn to play rythym really well, BEFORE I focus on picking or playing lead type stuff. SO that's where my starting point was.

If you guys would suggest otherwise, I'd like to hear what you think. I have thought that perhaps I should find her an electric Tele or Strat type guitar, because it would be easier at the beginning, and it might stimulate her to practice more.

But I've come to the conclusion, that with kids, what they really want is TIME with Mom/Dad, doing something where they're not feeling like they're under scrutiny. So I think that ANY guitar would please her, and she'd practice as often or more than I could practice with her. She's really attentive like that.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I'd say, "If she wants to play electric, get her one." She'll probably want to play acoustic later on anyway, so no worries about not being well rounded. What's important is that she plays an instrument she really wants to play on. You say any guitar would probably please her, and I bet you're right, since you know her a lot better than I do, but it sounds like an electric would please her more. If you don't want to have to buy additional equipment for her, that's one thing, but I think that playing the type of guitar she prefers will have more benefits for her playing. If you don't want to have to buy an amp for her, how about getting a better one for yourself and letting her have the old one? :roll:

I'd go with a regular size guitar, since she'll grow into it quick. She could potentially hurt her wrist, but since she's nearly full size guitar size anyway the risk probably wouldn't be any larger than the risk she'd take playing a 3/4. Improper technique can mess you up whatever you play.

ReplyQuote
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well the electric was my brothers. It was on loan, but he moved to Colorado this month. So that's out. She's just as interested as before.

However there is this movie (kid/chick movie) where the teen girl in the flick really rips on a Telecaster. And of course (you know how movies can affect people) THAT'S the way she wants to play. I have seriously considered getting her an electric, just because I know it'll be easier on the fingers and such. You know, break 'em in easier.

Any thoughts on the Squire/Fender wannabes? The price is definitely right. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Mind you, she had an interest BEFORE the movie. So it's not at all like she "only" has an interest in playing because of that. It just really lit her up, thats all.

ReplyQuote
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking at a "Drive" brand Strat and amp for $99.00.

Thoughts?

I don't want to go to something that's going to be worthless in a year because parts are falling off of it.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2