A 'mature guy' with his first Guitar - First day

42 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,

My oldest son plays piano like Yanni and my youngest is just starting to play piano. Even the six year old is already hacking out tunes. I can see that it won't be long before he's good. I've never played anything but the CD player, before that an actual phonograph player. (like from the old days when the world was in black and white) It occurred to me that I was there when my oldest was crying over trying to make both hands hit the keyboard and make recognizable sounds and I told him to take a deep breath, relax a minute then go back and keep trying. And like I said,
he's good now. Time and effort.

Been taking the youngest to piano lessons and I kept hanging out by the guitars. You know, acoustic shiny things just looking at me like they do. I say to myself. You know, you have the time, people always assume you know how to play, you have the smarts, you have the ability to inflict a good deal of pain on the people around you while you spend months and months trying to figure out chords and finger positions and most importantly you have the capacity for much suffering. Yes, it will likely be painful. I know this from reading this forum. I can read the posts where people are foaming at the mouth frustrated and I read you guys trying to talk them off the various ledges they want to throw themselves off of. Struggles, pain, frustration - I can do all those things.

I've read the guys here who are around my age and who have just started playing the guitar. Or who have been playing for a year or so. And I read where they are at with their playing. I say to myself that if they can do it then I believe that I can do it. Again, it's the time and effort thing. I hope. I've seen it happen, I know that if I put in the time and effort then I can make music to please myself. I can make music, maybe not for a while and definitely not without a lot of bad sounds coming out of a perfectly good guitar but like that little train, - you know, I think I can, I think I can. Does this make any sense?

I've been reading, I've been familiarizing myself with what I'm looking at and preparing myself for more intelligent conversations with those professional music guys at the old distinguished purveyor of musical instruments in my town. And today I finally jumped. A Blueridge BG-60. They played it for me, played a number of guitars for me and honestly I couldn't tell you why one was better than another one. The Blueridge was the favorite in the price range I was looking at of the guy I discussed everything with. He said he had bought one himself. But then he said he had 20 guitars at home. It was one of the ones on the wall behind the counter, my eye had been on some of the instruments on the floor and I hadn't even looked at the ones behind the counter. Generally I don't trust anyone. I told the guy that I don't want something that in six months to a year I'd know better about and would be unhappy with him for having
sold it to me. Gave him the Clint Eastwood squinty eye and said I'd hate to come looking for him in a year and since I'd be taking lessons in the building I'd know where to find him. No used car salesman swarmyness about him or any of the guys at the store. No oily smile or shining me on. Good guys who put up with me. I said alright, I'll take it.

Now which one of the fine teachers will put up with me? Group lessons they asked? Heck no says I. Private please. They ask if I have time to meet someone right then. Of course I have the time and so they call over this giant of a man. Little goatee and shiny shaved head. Michael is introduced to me and I tell him I want to learn most everything I
can. He asks me what kind of music I like and I tell him I like most everything from George Benson to NIN to Celtic to Bluegrass. I tell him he needs to be patient with a slow learner and absolutely no laughing at me. I also tell him that's he's got two things that I'm already uncomfortable with, he's way taller than I am and way way balder. He smiles and is wonderfully amiable. I learn that he's played most everything, toured with a bluegrass group for two years, been playing jazz in town for a year or so, done everything else as well. All good. We find a date, once a week
and of course, I'm scared out of my mind. So far so good. I ask him about books and he says he doesn't use them. Humm. I pick up a chords book.

Practice until my fingers are numb. Practice is too strong a word. Right now it's carefully look at the picture of the chord, place my fingers in their twister like positions and feel the pain. How the heck will my fingers ever fit between those strings? Ouch. I understand that one guy and his frustration with the D chord, too frightened to look at the chords under those first few. Wow, what the heck have I gotten myself into I wonder. Anyways, finding this forum and reading what's going on with you guys is why I finally jumped. Wish me luck.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

You came to the right place friend. If you've been reading here, you know this is the best guitar forum on the net.
I've read the guys here who are around my age and who have just started playing the guitar. Or who have been playing for a year or so. And I read where they are at with their playing. I say to myself that if they can do it then I believe that I can do it. Again, it's the time and effort thing. I hope. I've seen it happen, I know that if I put in the time and effort then I can make music to please myself. I can make music, maybe not for a while and definitely not without a lot of bad sounds coming out of a perfectly good guitar but like that little train, - you know, I think I can, I think I can. Does this make any sense?

If you think you can, and put in the time and effort, it will come to pass. I promise. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Gadlaw,
Welcome to guitarnoise :) Great introductory post bud. You'll enjoy the pain after a while ;) . Really, it's a great instrument, it takes a lot of work, which you obviously already know. And maybe in a little less than a year you can be jamming with your kids eh? Gotta get them to learn some blues piano.

Welcome again.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hi and welcome

I am a 42 year old father of three and a grandfather of a 18 month old , picked up the guitar last November ( 2004 ) can't play but learning something new nearly every week . When I first started thinking about playing a guitar I was about 7 but I wanted to play Rugby League for Australia so from then until I was 30 Rugby League took over my life , my family always supported me in my belief that one day I would make it , it might have happened if I was blessed with the talent . Now I am constant pain from injuries from my playing days and the guitar gives me such enjoyment and it now has consumed my life like Rugby League used to . You will get some great advise from the very many wonderfully talented people who live in this musical mad house :wink:

be nice :!:
hilch

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Ahhh, The Engine That Could ... that brings back some memories! *reminisces for a bit...*

Great intro post there Gadlaw! And you've definitely come to the right place.

Enjoy the journey and don't forget to smell the roses ... 8) :D

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Hi there Gadlow and welcome.

Its fair to say your story mirrors my own pretty much. Never played a note on any instrument before picking up a guitar aged 35. Three years ago now.

Don't get your mind set in the "its all going to be pain and stress" mode. It isn't going to be. Along the way there will be moments when you'll want to open the window and shout "yyyeeeaaahhhh!!!! I can do it!!!". Admittedly there will also be other times when you will want to open the window and throw the guitar (or worse yourself!!!) out.

A few tips
* Teach each hand independantly. This is the biggest bit of advice I would give anyone. Its impossible to teach your left hand to do one thing, and your right hand something else, and them BOTH do it well. Teach one hand to do something perfectly, so it can repeat it over and over. Then teach the other hand.

So when practicing strumming, don't even bother fretting a chord. Just mute the strings by placing your fretting hand across all 6 lightly. Then practice your strumming until you're done and happy. Then work on chord shapes with the other hand.

* One step at a time. Learn a bunch of open chords, and learn them well.

* Mix up your fingerstyle work with some flatpicking and see what suits you better.

* Get your guitar properly set up!!!!!!!!! Show it to an experienced player, ask them what they think of the set up. If they criticise it, take it to the shop and get it sorted. This will make a ton of difference to the playability of the thing.

* Do try to learn a song all the way through. There's hundreds of people who come on this site, and can play loads of riffs or know a good variety of chords. But they can't play a song to the end. Being able to do so gives you an enourmous boost. Even if its Mary had a Little Lamb!! It doesn't matter, get one down cold.

* Enjoy the journey.

I really hope your lessons go well. You will know early on if the relationship with your teacher is going to be a good one - if its not, then get another one.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

That was a terrific post!! You're gonna be a great poster here at GN. Anyways, welcome to Guitarnoise. You've obviously been following all the antics that go on, not to mention I think every NICE person on the internet must live here.

Agree with alot of what has already been said. Especially, getting the guitar properly setup and just taking it easy. Your fingers might hurt a bit in the beginning but in a month you really wont even think about it. In six month you will, sometimes, wish that they would have put the strings closer together.

Anytime you need help or just need to rant just post away. People love to help here.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the asylum!

Enjoy the ride -- guitar is one fantastic trip.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

what a big post.i haven't read your story but you will definatly enjoy your time at gnoise.GUARENTEED 8) :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Great post! Welcome from another "late starter." Oh, those Blueridge guitars are excellent values, in my opinion. Don't see them too often, but I played one briefly and really liked it. Enjoy!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

I enjoyed your story, nice one.

i was out with work last night and a few guys pointed at a dirty, badly dressed busker who was playing a very old looking guitar and my boss said "hey Rich, that could be you", to which I replied "I only wish I could play that well".

Amazing how differently you look at things when you realise how much efforts involved to get that good. I hope one day to be able to play as well as he could and have the confidence to play in public. I just hope I'm better dressed and smell nicer than he did when i get there....

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

gadlaw,

First, welcome to GN...you made the right choice here...no used car salesmen (or saleswomen) on this forum! You didn't mention your age but I just turned 39 and been playing for almost 3 months now (MY how the time flies!)...you won't regret it.

On a side note...I think you should meet Chris_C...it appears you and he have a similar sense of humor (which scares me a bit :lol: :lol: !)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hey gadlaw. welcome to GN. Enjoy the ride and remember the bumps are just as much fun.

I too have musical kids and love to be able to talk and play music with them. Great incentive to stick with it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

welcome to guitar world.

Blueridge is an excellent maker. nice choice.

now if you spend as much time behind the guitar as you do typing the keypad then you will be a pro in no time.

now get off the computer and play. :D :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

welcome to guitar world.

Blueridge is an excellent maker. nice choice.

now if you spend as much time behind the guitar as you do typing the keypad then you will be a pro in no time.

now get off the computer and play. :D :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3