25 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

another mikespe in the making 8)

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN. There are a lot of us old timers here that are just learning. You are going to fit right in.

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

From one "mature guy" (49) to another, welcome, you'll enjoy it here. There's always a different flavor, always a different opinion, but everyone knows how to treat each other.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

From one "mature guy" (49) to another, welcome, you'll enjoy it here. There's always a different flavor, always a different opinion, but everyone knows how to treat each other.

And when we dont, Nick and the gang know how to let us know how to treat each other. :lol:

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Somebody better tell Chris_C that he has some serious competition :shock: :D :shock:

Anyway gadlaw welcome

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Somebody better tell Chris_C that he has some serious competition :shock: :D :shock:

Anyway gadlaw welcome

Wat so special in Chris_c :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Wat so special in Chris_c :roll:

Ask Nils about the advice he got from Chris :D :D :D :D :D :D

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@sweatsavesblood)
Eminent Member

Anyways, finding this forum and reading what's going on with you guys is why I finally jumped. Wish me luck.

Well, first things first ... welcome. GN is, as mentioned, a great forum. Quite the array of personalities here yet very tight knit and tolerable of one another, differences and all. I don't post much, mainly lurk because I don't have much to offer in the realms of advice and technical savvy. However, I do read most of it and just that alone has helped. You'll come across a very constant theme here ... and it'll usually start by someone stumbling on a certain technique or chord progression to which the universal response is ... SLOW DOWN and PRACTICE.

Wait, let me make sure I typed that correctly .... SLOW DOWN and PRACTICE. Reading that a few million times over actually sunk in and I thought 'hmm, I should try slowing down and practicing.' Quite the difference, I'll say.

Amazing how important three little words are. At GN I'd say those are the unwritten golden rules. And as you've already gathered on your own ... time & effort certainly is a close relative of the two I mentioned.

Enjoy. It's more than you even realize.

- mdr
"And under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me" - orwell

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise from another late bloomer (46 and started 10 months ago)
You are certainly on the right track with a nice guitar and formal lessons.
I predict that you will make some rapid advancement, you seem to have the right attitude.
You will feel the joy when you make breakthroughs.
I have had quite a few of those myself where I am playing something and it sounds perfect. I just chuckle and grin from ear to ear.
I can say with certainty that I will be playing guitar for the rest of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for the lack of replies til now, darn blasted internet flips out on me sometimes. Wow. In my short time lurking here I knew this was a good bunch of guys and you've already shown it to be exactly true. A great community of outstanding individuals. I take every bit of advice to heart including the guy who said to quit typing and start practicing.

The Blueridge has been in my hands for many many hours so far. I'm glad I've heard positive things about it and it confirms what everyone else has said about it. It was a funny thing, they were happy playing it for me but sad to see this instrument go. The blonde at the desk/register was positively morose and told my musician guy that she had been looking at the Blueridge and had almost picked it up the day before. I almost felt bad for a minute. Looking at the price on the internet for the same model I see I paid pretty much the same as I would have paid bargain hunting. And I got it without paying postage. The guys at the shop tell me that I can bring it in any time and they'll change my strings and or show me how to do it. Good price and good service. So any bad sounds coming from it are all me.

And now my fingers are numb but not bleeding. I've done my usual thing of going to Barnes and Noble to gather more books and more information to help lead me along the way. I couldn't wait any longer for the internet to come back up. So excited but so scared. Funny thing, that guitar was the last thing on my mind as I went to sleep last night and the first thing I thought of when I woke up. Thanks again. Gotta go put the Blue in my hands again and pretend I'm Neil Young for a minute. :-) :D

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

gadlaw ur face reminds me of john lennon ( minus moustache :lol: )

here's he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon

8)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

A little late, but welcome to the board! I'm fairly new here and to the guitar as well and have really enjoyed this place. I frequent other guitar sites, but this is the one I ask questions on and trust the most. Good bunch here and whether they like it or not, I'm not going anywhere. Hopefully you won't either.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@mr_clean001)
Estimable Member

Excellent post and welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing about your triumphs.

"Practice until you get a guitar welt on your chest...if it makes you
feel good, don't stop until you see the blood from your fingers.
Then you'll know you're on to something!"
- Ted Nugent

ReplyQuote
 sean
(@sean)
Trusted Member

welcome to the board!! ive only been here a few weeks myself and you always get great advise with any question you post all the guys here are excellent!!
good luck with the guitar im sure you wont need it though, ive been playing for about 4 weeks and as long as you keep practising you find your self looking back and saying "why couldnt i do that before?"
its a question that i ask myself quite often!!
brilliant first post i look forward to the next!!

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

Sean

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yes Sir Gadlow,

As mentioned above a big hearty welcome! And to repeat, "This IS the best Guitar Board on the Net" bar none.

I consider myself a student of life in that I feel we're all spiritual beings have a "Human Experience" and I think of the most wonderful of those experiences is Music. That Universal language.

So at the age of 37 I too decided to take up the guitar and after a long, frustrating year I'm quite happy with my progress. I agree with you it takes time and perserverance and practice.

One thing I've learned recently is how to relax, relax when I practice and play, it makes things go a bit easier. I only wish I learned this earlier on. I don't know if you play golf, but its the same principle almost, the harder you try to hit that damn ball the harder it is to hit it. Just let go and the thing almost gets hit by itself. Well I'm finding that out with guitar too.

Instead of trying to make my fingers go where they should go forcibly, (I know these chords) I just get em there and it just happens. Funny thing is I usually hit the chords, melodys, note runs pretty good when I'm not really trying very hard to 'make' it perfect.

Thank you for your words and thoughts as its inspired me this morning.

Now go practice some more and remember to sit up straight!!

:)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3