Clear all

A Scale to Learn?

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a few days off, so I decided I would work on learning a scale. At present I am fairly comfortable with strumming the major chords in the CAGED group with some of the minors and sevenths. I play acoustic, almost exclusively with a pick. Dylan, Kristofferson, Nirvana, Hank Williams, Stompin Tom, I'm all over the map.

So, I am requesting some advice on a scale to work on, with the intent of expanding my technique. I don't have a way to record myself at present.

Which one would you pick for ease of playing and versatility? How would you go about learning it?

Thanks!!

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The easiest one in my book is the G Major Pentatonic Scale. Go to my web site and on the "practice scales" page it is the third down. This page is just some samples all over the neck for practice purposes.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I too would suggest any of the Pentatonic scales. Used a lot and easy to learn.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@jailhouserock)
Trusted Member

Major pentatonic and Minor Pentatonic are good to start with.
Pick a key of your choice and practice it all over the neck.
I'd suggest start with A major/minor pentatonic and E major/minor pentatonic since that's the most popular keys.
But then again, I only suggest it. You decide what you want.

After you have got the scale/s imprint in your head, start to improvising with it.
Make up your own backing track or have your friend play rhythm guitar for you and start improvising with the scale you just learn. Create your own melodies, phrases, licks out of it.

Listen to some blues stuff (exp: SRV, BB King) and copy their licks/solos.
Don't be like me. I once learned scales up and down like mad without ever make it sounds musical!!!

Rock on! :)

Hum..

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You want some scales? Here is a good start. You can thank Joe (forrok_star) for that page.

Scales are fun. They help you move around the fretboard without worrying about what you sound like. They are just that, scales. What you get out of them is the most important part.

I've "tripped" over many riffs just messing with scales.

A good one, Minor Pentatonic in D, D#/Eb and E. They are all the same fingering/format and will help you move around a little, kind of like an "ice breaker". Listen to what you are playing though, that (again) is the most important part.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Is there a site which shows the scales broken down diagonally so that you only play a couple of notes for each position, and work your way up the neck?

For example, here's what I'm talking about using Em Pentatonic:

Em Pentatonic
----------------------------------------------10--12--
-----------------------------------8--10--12----------
-----------------------------7--9---------------------
--------------------5--7--9---------------------------
--------------5--7------------------------------------
--0--3--5--7------------------------------------------

I've found this particular one helpful in getting to know the fretboard. Are there more like this?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

here is a Aminor extended similar http://www.cyberfret.com/improvisation/extended-minor-pentatonic/index.php

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

well the link takes you to a link to cyberfret just click 'improvisation' link then click extended pentatonic......sorry but that will get you there

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The scale you gave will work for any fret on the 6th string.
I also find it helpful to then transcribe this to scales starting on the 5th string, making the appropriate fret shift adjustment when you hit the 2nd string. This helps you think in terms of the relationship between the notes on one string and the next, not just memorizing scale shapes.

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

ok guys so i guess i need to memorize the notes on the fret board?? not just play the shape of the scale??.. also last year i was taking lessons and my teacher (ex) had me playing scales finger picking (index middle) he was trained classical. now on my own i have been using a pick and having a hard time staying on the right string in order. i guess i coulld feel with my thumb when finger pickin and know where i was at. i guess iam not quick enough to watch both hands at once.....

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Scales teach you a number of things other than just scales. One of those things is to train the fingers, with or without pick, to find the right string without looking (quite as often). Also practice the scales with alternate picking of each note, at first (down-up-down, etc.).

Learning the notes on the E and A strings are the most immediately useful, so put in some extra effort to get those down early on (to the 12th fret, at least). Saying the note name, even in your head, while you pick will help this process. Start with the Am and C major scales around the 5th fret. They are a relatively easy stretch and their names are easy to remember (A,B,C,D,E,F,G); no sharps or flats to worry about. Thus, practicing scales will help teach you the fretboard.

Scales are also great finger exersize. Don't forget to use the pinky! That one probably needs the most exersise. They will build your callus, strength, form (if you take the time to hit the strings correctly), reach, speed, finger independence, and can be a very zen experience.

Just mix them in with your other practice, a few minutes of focussed study a couple times a day so you don't get sick of them.

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

slothrob---thanks for the insight iam working on Em pentatonic right now i can play the form of the scale pretty good but learning the notes my take awhile. I did notice that there are no sharp notes on this scale.. i tried the using upstroke with the pick also . any ways thanks again for the info..

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

slothrob---thanks for the insight iam working on Em pentatonic right now i can play the form of the scale pretty good but learning the notes my take awhile. I did notice that there are no sharp notes on this scale.. i tried the using upstroke with the pick also . any ways thanks again for the info..

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote