A Shaped Barre Chor...

Notifications
Clear all

A Shaped Barre Chords

21 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)

The reason I ask is that if you're fingerpicking, you can often find ways around full barre chords because you're (usually) not playing all the strings at once. If you want the G in the melody, or at least on the high string, you could go with an open C and put your pinky on the G note (X32013), as mentioned above (while I was writing this all out! :wink: ).

Another way to get most of the A shaped barre in would be X3X053, but it's a bit of a pain. It would be actually easier to fret the A shaped barre chord or rather most of it, using the index finger to barre the third fret and only fingering the fifth fret of the B and G strings (X3X553). You'll have to be careful to not play the D string in your picking pattern, but that's certainly something you can do,

And, if you're comfortable with E shaped barre chords, you can play the C at the eighth fret and just not pick the high string because your G note would be on the B string.

Just a few quick ideas...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'll try these ideas out. I was fretting the open C with the G note fretted as has been suggested but I like the sound of the barre shaped C. However, I also like the sound of no thuds, so i'll have to see. in the meantime, i'm injuring my left wrist trying to do this....

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

If that G is your melody note try [x 3 2 0 1 3].
I agree.

Pearlthekat....this is a much better sounding chord than the "A" shape C chord.

It also makes it easier to get back to G.. leave your pinky in the same spot and do a G chord using your middle, ring & pinkie. Don't use the index....it is used for the transition to a C.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

When barreing(sp?) a B, C, D, etc. I use my first finger and my pinkie. I always had trouble using my ring finger because it deadened the high e string. Which just goes to show that whatever works, works.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

If that G is your melody note try [x 3 2 0 1 3].
I agree.

Still, sometimes I don't like that high G note (high e 3rd fret) ringing out. It's good at times or for short durations for me, at least.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

i'm fingerpicking my song and the top note is the one i want! :shock:

I usually try to use as many open chords as possible when I fingerpick, they just seem to ring out better. When I do use the A shaped barre (which is pretty rare), I only play 5 strings leaving out the low E.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2