Clear all

a small triumph

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@snaggletooth)
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

Thought I'd just share this small personal triumph with you.
(Sounds really sad and basic, but there you have it)

This time last week I was practicing pentatonic scales (in E minor
mostly) and finding it really frustrating (especially when it got to the
top E string - I just couldn't fret it with my pinky!)

Then, I happened to be browsing through the beginner pages of this
site and came across an article on how to hold your guitar properly.
To get to the point - after adjusting my strap length and having the
guitar at more of an angle (as well as properly positioning my thumb)
I found I could do it far easier. I'm still not great - just better than I was
which will do for me.

Cheers!!

Snaggletooth

Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown.
For I am Mars, the god of war, and I will cut you down.

(@alangreen)

We need more success stories. The world needs more success stories.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Thanx for sharing. it helps others to show examples of how these small adjustments can really help.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Way to go, Snaggle! :D

It really is amazing how learning an instrument's actually composed of a whole succession of small triumphs - years later you'll look back and think, "Wow, is that how all this started?"

ReplyQuote
(@snaggletooth)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the words of encouragement chaps! :D

It's a real hard process to learn, but knowing that you're
not alone makes it much more worthwhile - and just that
bit easier.

Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown.
For I am Mars, the god of war, and I will cut you down.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

one small step for snaggletooth, one large step for guitar kind, lol, and you will never be alone here, have fun. 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Thanx for sharing. it helps others to show examples of how these small adjustments can really help.

I agree.

Congrats on the search and congrats for solving a problem! There is a ton of great info here at your disposal. Rock out and have fun!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

snaggletooth

You are not alone. Every single guitarist has gone through the same difficulties and frustrations that you are going through now. It is difficult for everyone to fret chords at first, to stretch their fingers, to play a chord cleanly, to change chords in time,..... :D

But that is why we can all tell you to keep on playing and all these things will become very easy in time.

Never give up. Keep playing and you will get good.

I have told this story many times, but it's worth repeating. When I first started playing guitar, I happened to catch a reporter interviewing Chet Atkins (hope you know who that is). Chet was sitting on a stool playing two completely different songs at once!

When Chet finished the song the reporter replied, "You are so talented!". Chet looked up and laughed and said, "I'm not talented at all." The reporter couldn't believe it and asked, "How can you say that??"

Chet simply replied, "Look, if you had practiced guitar for 40,000 hours like I have, you would be just as good as me".

That did it. I made up my mind to just keep playing like Chet said. I knew if I put in the hours that sooner or later I would be a good player. :D

Think about that. 40,000 hours. If you played 8 hours a day for 5 days a week like a job, for 50 weeks a year, that would be 2000 hours per year. So you would have to play 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks per year, for 20 years to practice 40,000 hours.

That is a lot of practice. No wonder he's great. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

It's always great to hear when things have a positive out come to your playing. There will be many of these the longer to you play and more determind to become the best you can be. Then one day you'll pick up guitar and everything you will sound so good and be so much easier to play you just won't want to put it down.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@jedisteven)

Thats why I like Gutiar Noise so much. You get reminded that all the little things you think no one else had problems with are actualy the same thing every body gose through. And if they can then you can. Also support only makes it easier. And this is the most supportive place and collection of people I have come across.

ReplyQuote