Clear all

Acoustic Electric

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Gurus, I am researching to buy an acoustic electric guitar.
Can you guys recommend a good one for ~ $300 - $400.
Has anyone used Fender DG-10CE ?

Also, besides the sound, are there any dramatic differences between a acoustic electric and an electric?

Cheers

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have a Dean A/E and I like it.
The difference between an acoustic/electric and an electric are night and day.
A/E is an amplified acoustic guitar. plain and simple.
Strings are thicker ect..
The advantages of A/E over a strait acoustic are amplification and some tone control.

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

There are some crazy "acoustic" guiars that have the light electric strings.. they tend to have small sound holes, often off to the side, not even in the center... no idea what they're called... They sound more like electrics, but are acoustics... *shrugs* Don't really attract me since I obviously don't know much about them. =)

I have a DG-14 Electric/Acoustic. I got it with case, patch cord, extra strings, picks (forgot to get him to throw in a strap though=/) it cost me $500 canadian. It's made in china, which many people would go "ew" but my guiar is awesome. I have 2 guitar teachers (one for off at school) and both of them and many people I play with at school go on about how easy it is to play and how nice it sounds.

I got a story from my conservatory teacher about how fender used to suck with acoustic, they were heavy and necks were bolted on... said they've come a LONG way.

So yeah... my DG14 is awesome. Just make sure you play it, because mine had a problem with the electronics and he offered me a replacement DG14 and it didn't sound as nice. So I just got them to replace my electronics.

Hope there was some help in that mess. =)

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Allow me to toss in my obligatory Ibanez plug. :lol:

I really like Ibanez acoustics and I recommend them to everyone. Like any guitar, play all the ones you can get your hands on before you buy, and there are certainly duds, but there are several models in your price range, and they often sound very nice. My past experience with Ibanez acoustics is that they tend to sound "tight" with a really punchy low end, which is something I really go for.

Of course, you have to check out Takamine, Taylor, and Tacoma's low end stuff, as you can certainly find a gem there, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention the used market, which tends to play well to people in the $400 range.

Happy buying.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys

Well I just bought myself a seagull S6.

I wanted an acoustic electric, but decided to get an acoustic. This thing is a beauty! It plays really well plus the guy I bought it from was the nicest old man.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Cheers

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

great choice of guitar, read a lot of great reviews about this guitar.

Enjoy it!

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

You can always add a pickup in the sound hole if you want tp plug in. I can't comment on how good they are though.

I have an acoustic/electric Dean Performer SE and love it but would not hesitate to buy a Seagull if I ever want to pick up a second guitar. I have heard nothing but good things about Seagull. Enjoy it. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Had a Fender DG10CE lefthanded, hated it, sold it, bought a Tacoma.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote