Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic for around $400

31 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@swampdog513)
Topic starter  

I am interested in learning to play the guitar. I would like to get a acoustic guitar. I have been to a few shop and looked at several and also listened to them. I have also looked at alot of internet pages looking for a guitar reading reviews and ratings. If anybody has any suggestions to send my way that would be great, because there is to many options out there so I am kinda overwelmed. For what it is worth I am 6'6" tall with long arms so I was kinda thinking a full size guitar. Thanks in advance.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you're looking for a steelstring check Seagull. If you're after a classical check out Alhambra or Yamaha.

ReplyQuote
(@swampdog513)
Topic starter  

Thanks Arjen I am looking for a steel string I will check segull.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Arjen's right on with the Seagull's. Great guitars. :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

yes they are, wish i had one, maybe next case of gas, we will see :wink:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Pretty much everyone here at GN recommends Seagull acoustics. I've never played one but would not hesitate to just going by what I've read here over the past 2 years about them.

That being said the world of $400 acoustics is a large one with a varied population. If you can't find a Seagull that is to your liking don't hesitate to pick up a nice Washburn, Yamaha, Oscar Schmitt, or Tacomah.

Look for things like "solid" spruce top. If it says spuce top without the word solid it is probably plywood, solid will sound better. Check the tuners for a solid feel and smooth operation, all six should feel the same. Pick it up and play it. If it sounds good and feels good you're ten steps in the right direction.

Happy hunting and welcome to GuitarNoise,

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

Get this one and you'll have about $200 in change... I have a Yamaha FG700S and love it... Here is a link... I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--YAMFG700S

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

You might take a look at Samicks.... They're a great guitar for the $$$ spent.

http://www.samickguitar.com/

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If you can't find a place to buy a Seagull, or you find Seagull is not your thing (it happens), then Yamaha and Ibanez make some fine guitars in the $400 range. For Ibanez, check out the Artwood series. In any case, for that price make sure the guitar you buy has a solid top (usually spruce or cedar), NOT "select," NOT bookmatched, NOT laminated -- accept only a solid top. (The sides and back can be laminated, and likely will be.) Another tip: Got a guitar playing friend? Take that person with you when you buy to help pick out a good playing, good sounding guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I learned that acoustic guitars are a tough call when you are starting out.

Been through a number of them.

It is said that an acoustic will make you a better player starting out but some of them are very difficult to play.

*Deciding on a proper acoustic guitar for yourself is MUCH more important than buying electric. What makes this so tough is not being able to play in the first place, you don't know the difference between a guitar that is easy to play and one that is difficult.

Just to put a few names out there...I had a Hohner that was almost impossible for me to play. I got rid of it in short order.

Then I bought a Dean Performer SE (more $ than you are looking to spend) that is made like a work of art. It has a smaller body, so not as 'bassy' as I would like it to be but it fits me. This is also a difficult guitar for me to play, although I can play it, my bar chords are still not clean on this guitar. It sounds good unplugged but horrible plugged in, even to an acoustic amp.

I also have a cheap Fender. Too cheap unfortunately with a laminated top and not so great tuners, the action is a little high (will fix that one day) but this is by far the easiest acoustic for me to play and it is a full size dreadnaught, so it has a nice bass.

Having spent all this money over the years on guitars and knowing how important it really is to have a well made acoustic guitar that sounds good and is good for the player to use wihtout spending a ton of money.....and as others have mentioned about what everyone has been saying about the Seagull's over the past few years.......there is no doubt in my mind that my next acoustic guitar will be a Seagull. I have not read or heard a single negative thng about them. I think a Seagull is the best bet for the money.

I also think we would progress faster in the beginning starting with a cheap electric guitar. The difference between electric and acoustic is like driving with power steering or not. Many times I had to put the acoustic down in the beginning for pain in the fingers and having to put so much effort into it.

Good luck and welcome to guitarnoise.
8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Josephlefty hit on something there.

Without a good setup any guitar you buy will probably be very difficult to play. When you buy one try to get them to throw in a setup and if they won't, at least get them to give you a discount on one. In my Area a setup goes for about $42 including new strings.

If 400 was what I could afford and I couldn't get a setup thrown in, I would be looking for a $350 guitar with a good setup. I would much rather play a low end guitar properly setup than a very expensive one with too high an action.

I know I am beating this to death, but your fingers and motivation will both suffer the consequences.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I echo the above about the set-up being very important, especially when first starting.
also a search for similar topics will show that the seagull is prefered by many trusted players here.
that said i also would suggest a look at Takamine guitars as well. pretty much all the major manufacturers have a nice model in the $400-$600 range. i know that goes over your limit but to point out that for a lot of brands $400 is the starting point for their better models.
try a bunch, bring a trusted player/friend along and trust your ears. Good Luck and if i missed it Welcome to GN

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

There's a couple of other things to look for:
Seagulls have a slightly wider neck than is standard for a steel stringed acoustic. In your case that may be a bonus.
Seagulls also can have either a spruce top (which is typical of steel strings) or a cedar top (more typical of classicals). They give different sounds so it's best to try out both if possible.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'd rather play a $400 guitar with a good setup than a $4000 with a bad one.

It's critical.

My very first guitar was an Oscar Schmidt. It did have a solid top, but it was hell to play. A friend of mine who has been playing forever said "get it set up by a pro".

I was afraid I'd look more like an idiot than usual if I did. I mean I paid $100 for the guitar, who takes that to a luthier?

I did take it in and the luthier was nice and didn't roll his eyes too much. I told him my story and he said he'd do the setup, lower the action, might as well change the plastic nut and saddle to bone while he was at it and restring. I said I didn't want to spend that much on a piece of crap guitar. He said not to worry, all that was $75.

When I came back to pick up the guitar, he laughed, took it out of the case and played it and said it was now the best piece of crap guitar he had ever played or heard.

...and he was right. It wasnow fun to play, sounded 100% better and got me started down the road to guitar playing.

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

I was very pleased with a buy I found. It was an Epiphone EJ200. It's a Gibson J200 copy. Maple body and neck. Top is laminated maple. Looks very nice in the sunburst finish. It plays very nice. The sound is brighter than my Yamaki which is rosewood and cedar? (hard to tell, dark like cedar could but be spruce (age colouration)). The Ephiphone has great sustain. For the price of $300 CAD I'm very pleased.
I suppose the point I'm making is you have to go out and do some hunting and lots of playing. Guitars are not created equal even in the same brand and model.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3