Clear all

Advantages to a scallopped neck?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was reading Yngwie's homepage the other day, and I read them mention that he scallopped all his guitar necks for better control. Now, I learned long ago that the harder you press down on the string, the higher-and-lower you can raise the pitch. I only assumed that scallopping a guitar neck would just give you a bigger range of how much you can increase the pitch, by pressing it deeper into the groove.

However, someone told me this is not true, and that there's many other advantage, control-wise, to a scallopped neck. I was wondering if any of you could tell me what they are.

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

a scalloped neck helps some people play faster because, since its scalloped, you dont have to push down the string onto the fretboard, it requires you to pay with a light touch. Im not sure about this but I think when you play one you play normal notes as if they were harmonics. (im using this to show how it would be played)

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

i might have actually confused you, maybe someone else can clear it up

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

As a matter of fact, Yngwie says it's harder to play fast with a scalloped neck. As I recall, he says that when he was working in a guitar shop some lutes came in, and they had scalloped necks rather than frets, essentially forming wooden frets. He thought it looked cool, so he scalloped one of his bad necks, and it became a good neck. He reasoned that scalloping a good neck would make it even better. He says that the advantage to scalloping is that you can get a better grip on the strings for bending. As a scalloped-neck guy myself, I can confirm that. You're right that it would allow you to raise the pitch more by pressing harder, but the added grip for bending is the real benefit. It has the added bonus of letting you know that you're pressing too hard, since your notes will go out of tune. Scalloping looks cool, and aids in bending. If either of those is worth the work (or the money to have someone else do it), then I highly recommend it.

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i read the same thing, and was also wondering that????

ReplyQuote