advice for 'you are my sunshine' fingering

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys,
I'm working my way thru Davids wonderful beginner lessons on walking bass lines (thank you David!), and -slowly- getting the hang of them. My question is on regard to the fingering when strumming the c chord, when I am required to pick the third fret 6th string - I am finding this awkward. Should I quickly move the ring finger up there, or learn to make the c chord using 4 fingers (pinky on the 6th). Only a minor matter I know, but it's the only point of the lessons I seem to be making a major hiccup (maybe because the base note is on a different string to where my chord is).
Thanks, Jen.

(@davidhodge)

Hi Jenny

For this particular lesson, I'd work on switching the ring finger back and forth between strings. But, I'd also like to make a suitable substitution and that would be to use the E note (second fret of the D string) as your alternate in the bass line.

Hope this helps and thanks for the kudos on the lesson.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you, I'll work on that, and again many many thanks for sharing your knowledge in the wonderfully comprehensive lessons - esp. all the variations you include, its so helpful to learn more than one way to do things, and not get 'stuck' on a particular way of doing something - your expertise is very much appreciated! :P

ReplyQuote
(@josearizola)

After trying to learn Guitar for over a year I fainly found Guitarnoise and I like it. I found this song My sunshine an I'm working throug it. I'm not clear If I'm to play the cords or just the notes? Example 4 C to G is this all notes are I'm to play the full cord also.
Sorry but mu music skills are very limited.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@josearizola)

Thank you, I'll work on that, and again many many thanks for sharing your knowledge in the wonderfully comprehensive lessons - esp. all the variations you include, its so helpful to learn more than one way to do things, and not get 'stuck' on a particular way of doing something - your expertise is very much appreciated! :P

ReplyQuote
(@josearizola)

I posted a question on this subject did I get a respose? How do I get my questions answer? I'm I not post them correctly please advise if their better ways to communicate with David or other instructors. again my questions is, on the chords and notes David is mention the cords but the TAP indicate notes only. I now this must sound very sill but I'm lost.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

After trying to learn Guitar for over a year I fainly found Guitarnoise and I like it. I found this song My sunshine an I'm working throug it. I'm not clear If I'm to play the cords or just the notes? Example 4 C to G is this all notes are I'm to play the full cord also.
Sorry but mu music skills are very limited.

joe

Hi Joe

Sorry I've been fairly busy the past weeks and haven't been around the Forums all that much. But let's see if I can help you out here. Here's the text that accompanies Example 4 in the lesson:
Play through the strumming pattern on C in the second measure. Then begin the third measure by playing only the C note twice, then playing B (you might find it easiest to use your middle finger) and then the open A. Again, you're using the open A string to buy yourselves a moment to get your fingers in place to form the G chord. Taking advantage of open strings like this is an easy way to smooth out and quicken your chord changes.
The first measure in Example 4 shows the bass line (all single notes, as indicated by both the notation and the tablature) moving from two picks of the G (third fret of the low E string) to A (open A string) to B (second fret of the A string). The second measure starts with a single hit of the individual C note (third fret of the A string) and then a strumming down and up of the rest of the C chord on the second beat. The G note (third fret of the low E string) is hit on the third beat and the rest of the C chord is strummed again on the fourth beat. This strumming pattern is covered in "Example 2," by the way.

The entire third measure is single notes (indicated by the single notes in the music notation as well as the single numbers in the tablature as well as the paragraph I posted from the lesson text) and then the fourth measure is a combination of single notes and chords (again, following Example 2 in the lesson).

I hope that this helps and my apologies again for not replying sooner. I thought I had explained this pretty well in the text of the lesson, but that obviously wasn't the case.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@josearizola)

Thanks
For the help.
joe

ReplyQuote