Notifications
Clear all

advice needed, i just started playing guitar

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@yourstruly)
Topic starter  

I just started learning guitar a few days ago (i've been trying to learn to play guitar off and on for a while now and want to finally stick with it this time and not quit). Right now i know some chords and scales.

i've been trying to learn some songs from the internet, but i am always very confused even though i some what know how to read TAB. my strumming is a bit odd, i strum to softly i believe and when i try and strum up my hand wobbles and plunks from one string to the other. and i'm always afraid to play when family or friends are near.

any advice on what i should begin working (songs, chords, scales wise), how to make these problems go away, or how i can improve?

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

You ought to start with learning the notes on the fretboard, scales & chordshapes (there are articles in our Beginner section that will help with that). From there I would go to our Easy Songs for Beginners and start with "Horse With No Name". It's a very simple 2 chord song that requires a specific strumming pattern, which our own David Hodge has provided, along with tablature and sound recordings for you to try to play along with once you've got the hang of it! Be sure to check out our Beginner section to learn about hammer ons and pull offs and bends, etc. There is LOTS of good information there!

Good luck! And, feel free to ask as many questions as you like. The only stupid question is the one not asked! Our members are great, and will do their best to answer anything!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Welcome ^^, lol do what she said, and dont worry about playing in front of people it happens to everybody, I once played in front of my family and played really crappy ( when I was starting :P ) but the thing is they are your family, use them! lol

What I mean is use them to get used to playing in front of people, and sooner or later you will be confident in your own abilities and will be ready to take on the world, or something like that ^^.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Welcome. Yeah, that would be really cool to enjoy and stick with it. You could start or learn with a book of traditional songs, from the old days, with the chords shown and some good pointers, from a music store. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Try to get as fun as possible while you are playing and practicing. Obviously there will be some hard parts (some chords are harder than others, sometimes the strumming hand must do very athletic movements...) but keep patience and have fun.

Probably the "Songs for Beginners" section is the best site for learning. Read the whole article, there are a lot of knowledge.

And welcome to GN!

ReplyQuote
(@eyeplayguitar)
Trusted Member

Just stick with it my friend. Everyone is a little awkward at first, and sometimes its hard to see how you'll ever get better. The great part is, you just DO! Make sure to practice every day, try new things, and don't get too discouraged. Have fun with it.

If you want to work on your strumming and rhythm, I suggest practicing with a metronome. It will help you keep time and build a solid foundation for your continued progress.

Find Guitar Teachers

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Start out strumming with your thumb and or fingers. Get a sense of timing then use the pick.

BJ

ReplyQuote