Notifications
Clear all

Advice on using a fret lobster?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@gitpickerjohn)
Topic starter  

Hey brothers. Just got into playing some Indigo Girls songs and I'm finding myself setting up the lob' (sometimes called a capo!) correctly, I -think- but it doesn't seem to tune to the right key even though. Do you brothers know if it's supposed to go in the middle of the fret or towards the edge of it?

Peace,
John

(@bigtyler)

John,

You've probably got your lobster pinching midway between the frets... that makes the guitar go sharp because the strings are under more tension than they would be if you (correctly) place it just in back of the fret, just close enough that the rubber isn't damping the string. Hope that helps and rock on!

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You must be from the Washington DC area.

Are you using a Kyser? I hate 'em. They'll work on my twelve string but not six. They push down way to hard and drive the notes out of tune. I use a G7 or one that allows you to dial in the pressure.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Are you using a Kyser? I hate 'em. They'll work on my twelve string but not six. They push down way to hard and drive the notes out of tune.

I found that if I position the Kyser so that it almost touches the actual fret wire, placed maybe 1/16" or so behind it, then the problem goes away.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I like the Dunlop trigger capo myself.

Fret lobster? Really? I've never heard that one.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote