Clear all

alcohol and playing

33 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

In my 5 months of playing I have always figured alcohol and complex motor functions like playing the guitar don't mix. I managed to confirm this one night after being handed someone's guitar after the better part of a twelve pack. It was a disaster.

However, I have discovered that a “couple” seem to have beneficial results, as far as getting into a “groove” and getting both hands on the same “page”. I have noticed the same effect when playing pool or darts too. ie: a “couple” is just right, but there is a point where any beneficial effect is lost.

Of course I realize that alcohol alters ones' perceptions, and that any beneficial effect may just be a perceived one.

The point here is I don't want to gun two beers every time I pick up the guitar, but rather establish what is going on here.

My theory is that a small amount lowers my inhibitions enough that I am less focused on my shortcomings and thus able to let it flow a little bit easier.

Any thoughts on how to hit this place without the hooch ?

Thanks.

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Practice is the only thing I can think of to get you to that place without any alcohol. Its kinda like people that enjoy singing karoke. When you first start you have to be pretty loaded to get up there. Then later, you actually sound pretty decent with just a couple beers to loosen up. But you can eventually become so comfortable with it that your not nervous at all, even without drinks.

I think your theory is exactly right. It doesnt hurt you so much that you are messing up, but a couple loosen you up enough that you arent worried about the little things.

Beer is like anything else though. A little in moderation isnt going to hurt most people.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Can't remember the last time I practiced or recorded anything on my own while being totally sober. Does it help? Couldn't tell you. Do what makes you feel best, I guess. Unless you're a professional, in which case you shouldn't drink at all while working.

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member

It seems the benefits you're receiving are from the relaxing effect of a couple beers.

I suggest that in order to get this effect without the drinking you try to deeply relax before picking up the guitar. Try sitting down and closing your eyes and just relaxing...take some deep breaths and think calming thoughts for a couple minutes, once you feel really relaxed try to pick up the guitar and see what happens.

Tension is your enemy.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I recognized pretty early on that I didn't play well under the influence. I also figured out I didn't sing well stone-cold sober.

I actually experimented for a while with what the right amount of 'preparation' was, and I settled on two beers, the same as you - less than that and I was too uptight to sing well, more and my playing suffered.

That was about 25 years ago. As my playing got better, I found two beers was actually too much for precision - and playing live you've got plenty of other distractions that also affect your playing. I started cutting back.

At least 10 years ago I reached the point where any at all affected my playing, or at least my perception of it. Now I work first, party later. (I've also developed enough confidence over time so that when I need to sing, I just sing without worrying about it.)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

This month's Total Guitar magazine takes this research to new heights, with four of the staff being required to play the opening couple of bars from Sweet Child Of Mine after every beer. The winner knocked back 11 whilst still being able to knock out a pretty good intro at correct-ish speed.

Don't try this at home, kids.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It may be that having a bit of alcohol lowers your ability to hear what you're playing well and thus diminishes your capacity to listen critically to what you're playing. There's a chance, in other words, that you think you sound better after having a few drinks but you might not think so if you heard yourself sober. Have you ever noticed how people think they're better looking after a few drinks than they really are?
:?
I figure a beer or two is probably all right for me but certainly not more. I think practice is certainly the key and knowing the song as well as you possibly can.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Interesting thoughts.

My second favourite hobby is beer making, so I am very aware that the perceived positive effects of alcohol are usually just that--perceived.

I don't plan to chug two every time I pick up the guitar for a number of reasons, among them being the fact my 16 yr old daughter is learning guitar and doesn't need to see Dad bolt down the Budwiesers every time he straps on the guitar.

Although a guitar playing friend was espousing the synergy between the instrument and the player when on the herb.......

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

As alcohol is a depressant it makes sense that in moderation it may releive some of the stress of playing.

Muse - I don't think two beers would effect most people's playing negatively but much more than that I can see where you might get a distorted view of reality.

I don't think there are many alternatives than the ones everyone has listed and that is to just know the material cold.

Which brings me to a question for the people that have been playing for a long time. Do you ever get to the point where you've played a song so many times and you can play it in your sleep but because you know it so well it's almost "boring" (for lack of a better word) to play and you find yourself making mistakes because you aren't concentrating enough?

Does this ever occur?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Sure does. I don't know if it's boredom or over-confidence - but the key is to focus on what you're playing, no matter what.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

As alcohol is a depressant it makes sense that in moderation it may releive some of the stress of playing.

Muse - I don't think two beers would effect most people's playing negatively but much more than that I can see where you might get a distorted view of reality.

I don't think there are many alternatives than the ones everyone has listed and that is to just know the material cold.

Which brings me to a question for the people that have been playing for a long time. Do you ever get to the point where you've played a song so many times and you can play it in your sleep but because you know it so well it's almost "boring" (for lack of a better word) to play and you find yourself making mistakes because you aren't concentrating enough?

Does this ever occur?

Yep. When my band does a concert, we hope to hit our peak at rehearsal and not before -- otherwise that lack of concentration can set in. Absolutely.
(Agreed about the two beer issue as well).

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I don't need alcohol to play badly. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Greybeard - Then you must need it to play well...Ha

I don't drink that much, not that I'm against it or anything just don't enjoy drinking alone but I can't imagine having more than two beers or so...well maybe a couple shots of Yaegar.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Greybeard - Then you must need it to play well...Ha

That's probably more than my body could take :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Does this ever occur?

For some reason, I don't. I make mistakes - huge ones in fact - but to me at least, a song is different every time you play it. Even when I was in cover bands (back when); I'd never do the song the same way twice. If a person gets bored of playing a particular song, it seems to me that that person is not seeing the song as something alive and realtime. It really has nothing to do with knowing it too well in my opinion; the boredom factor is on the player - like the player has that 'boredom trait' if you will, and it could be music or something else.

But on the other hand, if the player is mindful at every moment during the song, he'll hear new things and maybe try them out. Play the solo 'just a tad' different this time; really focus on making the pick hit each string uniformly while strumming; switch over and listen to what the drummer's 'actually' doing while you're playing, and how it connects, and how the drummer is thinking; same with the bassist - or the singer. Different little things happening, but it's more the mental focus that allows a person to hear and understand those little things. It sorta takes the mental attitude of "Man I am SO TIRED of playing Freebird, I can't even think straight!" and flushes it down the toilet basically.

I played with a guitarist once, who, while the band was doing some ostinato figure or another - in the key of G - leaned over and rolled his eyes, "G I'm so bored...G I wonder what time it is...etc," - trying to be funny of course, but it was like "Man just leave the stage..."

When I F-up, it's most times because I hear something and try to go for it; most times I don't make it, sometimes I do.

And those are the good times :)

Well, just trying to grab that note and not getting it is fun too. It's like "Man did I EVER eff that one up! woooo!"

But then, if it's live, it's gone. On to the next 'moment.' :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3