Alternate Tuning Question

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Saw a band named David Crowder last night. Awsome band and they have the tab for alot of their songs on their website but all of them us Eb tuning. How do I get there from here (Standard).

Please use very small words and simple language. Alt tunings make me nerdvous.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Unless I'm mistaken, Eb tuning is standard tuning dropped by a semitone. Instead of EADGBE, you have Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Bb,Eb.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Geoo,

This should probably be moved to the "Slide & Alt Tuning" forum, as there are alot of people over there that know alot about alt tunings, and could probably help you out better that I could. I only know standard, drop D, DADGAD, and open G. Alt tunings are fun to get into, so don't be nervous. :wink: I think open E tuning is: E B E Ab B E, and if that's correct, I think you would just tune everything down a half step from that, ( Eb Bb Eb G Bb Eb), to get open Eb tuning?

Good luck,
Dan

EDIT: Sorry Geoo, after reading Greybeard's response, (he posted while I was), I see I mis-read the question. My bad. :oops: Never mind... :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'm going to leave the thread here as it is a very common beginners' question and Greybeard's answer is spot on

How to get to this tuning?

Tune the 1st string so that it is the same sound as the 2nd string at the 4th fret, then tune the rest of the guitar as though it were normal standard tuning. Et voila - one semitone down.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@homchz)
Eminent Member

From what I understand Eb tuning is more for vocal matching than anything else. There is no real purpose to go a half step low dynamically, except the match a vocal key.

Every GNR tune is in Eb tuning.

Joshua Jones New Folk Singer Songwriter
Joshua Jones @ MySpace

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

From what I understand Eb tuning is more for vocal matching than anything else. There is no real purpose to go a half step low dynamically, except the match a vocal key. Or to help "get a heavier and thicker sound than one would expect from a typical Strat setup," as Stevie Ray Vaughan did. (And Kenny Wayne Shepherd does now.)
Jimi Hendrix also tuned down a half-step, sometimes a whole step, although with lighter (.010-.038) strings.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sometimes the pitch of a recording is altered during or after the performance.

Jimmy Page said he recorded "When The Levee Breaks" playing in Open G, but it was slowed down (to about an F pitch) to "thicken up the sound."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm going to leave the thread here as it is a very common beginners' question and Greybeard's answer is spot on

How to get to this tuning?

Tune the 1st string so that it is the same sound as the 2nd string at the 4th fret, then tune the rest of the guitar as though it were normal standard tuning. Et voila - one semitone down.

Best,

A :-)

Thanks to everyone for the info. This is exactly what i was needing. I knew I could tune it to other frets but I wasnt sure how to do that. Now I am thinking DUH I could have figured that out. Sometimes I just dont think, my dad was right some 20+ years ago. :lol:

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

A half step down is a great tuning. A friend of mine plays almost all of his covers in Eb. It is really great for vocal matching, or just creating a darker chord sound. I really love playing folk song in Eb. It gives them such an eerie feel. If there are minor chords in the songs, or chords with drowned out strings, it sounds amazing.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

You know how the E string sounds the same as the A string if you play it at the fifth fret? Make it sound the same at the sixth fret instead, then tun the rest of the guitar how you normally would at the fifth fret. Or if you have an electronic tuner you will notice a flat symbol and a sharp symbol at the ends of the scale (They're accually there for this purpose, not just to tell you that you are too low) Tune so that the light is on the flat symbol and there ya go.

and remember, that if you have a tuner that changes the string automatically, then Eb is the same a G#

Just another way of going about it.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

then Eb is the same a G#
Don't you mean D#?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

then Eb is the same a G#
Don't you mean D#?

Whoops, my bad :)

Thx Greybeard

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote