Clear all

Alternating Bass Strum Style

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've discovered how poor I am at this technique while working on David's “Margaritaville” . Basic problem is hitting the right bass notes without watching my right hand. I can look away while holding the pattern on one chord, but in the changes I often hit the wrong bass note. I have tried to make it easier by making the last bass note of the pair the first bass note of the next chord where possible, which helps somewhat.

What did you do to nail this technique?

(@welchsboy)
Eminent Member

I would say just try to stare at your picking hand while playing to make sure it is in the right spot. Eventually you'll be able to do it blind due to practice/muscle memory. (did the same thing trying to nail string switches playing the pentatonic scales). I was surprised how quickly I got comfortable with switching strings doing the "staring" thing, I guess even with guitar the fact that I'm a "visual" learner still applies somehow o.o

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

What helps when I'm working on anything new, is slowing down the tempo.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Ditto for me.
I'm still new at this but I've had several people including teachers tell me that the key is to go as "slow as you possibly can".

I would turn on the metrnome, watch my fingers and practice at a snails pace until my fingers and pick got it right. After I felt comfortable I would then ever so slowly pick up the pace. I did this when learning to switch chords, later on with scales, and it has helped tremendously. I would literally practice switching from G to C for 15-30 minutes with a metronome, increasing the tempo as I got more comfortable with it. I'll take acurracy over speed anyday.

Once your finger and muscles memorize what they are to do it'll all come together.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Ditto for me.
I'm still new at this but I've had several people including teachers tell me that the key is to go as "slow as you possibly can".

I would turn on the metrnome, watch my fingers and practice at a snails pace until my fingers and pick got it right. After I felt comfortable I would then ever so slowly pick up the pace. I did this when learning to switch chords, later on with scales, and it has helped tremendously. I would literally practice switching from G to C for 15-30 minutes with a metronome, increasing the tempo as I got more comfortable with it. I'll take acurracy over speed anyday.

Once your fingers and muscles memorize what they are to do it'll all come together.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote