Notifications
Clear all

Alternative to a Plectrum

39 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@thomasg)
Topic starter  

I've recently started playing guitar again, self taught. (I'm a vocalist by trade)

I've been strumming using the back of my index finger. I tried using a plectrum tonight and really can't get comfortable with it, particularly on "up strums". It feels like it's catching the strings as opposed to "caressing" them.

Are there any alternatives to using a plectrum? Is it "ok" not to use one?

Cheers.

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise!! We look forward to seeing you around the forums!! :D

And, yes, it is perfectly acceptable not to use a pick. Fingerpicking is my preferred style. I feel as if I have better control over where my fingers go than I do with a pick. Plus, I prefer that little softer sound.

:D

Here are some links to get you started and be sure to check out GN's articles, threads, etc. on Fingerstyle guitar. (Just type "Fingerpick" into the Search box and you'll get a bunch of links!) Like this one https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/basic-travis-finger-picking/ and this one https://www.guitarnoise.com/tag/fingerstyle/

http://www.activemusician.com/Basic-Fingerpicking--t13i32

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/finger-style-lessons/

Have fun!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Yes, you can strum without a plectrum in the way you described, or some other way such as holding your finger and thumb together as if you were holding a plectrum, but using the back of your finger (nail) for downstrokes and your thumb or thumb nail for upstrokes.
I often do that as, like Elektra, I play a lot of fingerstyle, and usually have no pick within easy reach if I suddenly change to strumming. When I started learning, I also got pretty good at using the side of my thumb for a barely audible strum that I could practise with at 2am without waking the whole house. :D

However, don't give up on the plectrum. I find great advantages in using a plectrum. It's very common for it to feel uncomfortable at first, but persevere and that will go away.

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Watch out though... if you start strumming without a pick, if you are anything like me you are going to want to get all your fingers involved and get hooked on fingerpicking/fingerstyle!

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@shake-your-bottom)

Don't give up on the pick yet. Yea, it maybe uncomfortable, but so are a lot of chords. You don't want to get into the habit of giving up on things that seem too difficult and uncomfortable.

I learned to play with a pick and finger style at the same time so it is not like you have to choose one technique or the other. You will be a far more versatile musician if you learn multiple techniques.

Bass Guitar String

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I used to use my thumbnail a LOT for strumming- got into the (bad) habit, though, of really moving just the thumb, not the hand/forearm- made it hard to really ring it out.

I'd back up what others say- learn to use the pick, then decide when/if you want to use it. But there are serious advantages to being able to use a pick, even if you often don't.

It took me quite a while to hold it firm enough to stop it moving around on me. But it was/is worth it, even though I don't use it all the time now.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

They're absolutely correct about learning to use a pick correctly. I play 4 different stringed instruments and have picks for 3 of them, including the guitar even though I prefer fingerstyle, I, of course, don't use a pick for the bass, but I have to use picks for the mandolin and dulcimer (well, that's not quite true, you can fingerpick a dulcimer, but I like the sound better with a pick). So, by no means take my suggestion of pursuing fingerpicking as meaning that you'll never have to pick up a pick. Diversity is a good thing.

:D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'd say about 99% of the time I spend playing guitar is without using a plectrum - about the only time I do use one is when I want to strum very close to the bridge. There are obvious advantages to not using them, chief among them being I can never remember where I put the damn things anyway! Seriously, I've always found it difficult to go from strumming chords to fingerpicking (in the same song) with a plec in my hand - if I'm fingerpicking, I tend to use the one finger per treble string, thumb for the E A and D strings method.

There are times when you NEED a plec, though, for a certain sound, so it's worthwhile practising with one every now and then.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

If you can, rent the Jeff Beck DVD "Live At Ronnie Scotts". Jeff plays electric without a pick, and the camera operator must be a guitar player because he/she zooms in on Jeff's hands whenever Jeff is doing something extraordinary.

Watching and listening to that video made me come to the conclusion that finger-style is better. There is a greater variety of sound you can get by using fingernail, fleshy part of the finger, pulling the strings, etc, than can be attained with a plectrum.

Watching that video is a learning experience.

Whether you like Jeff's playing or not, you should rent it.

I am a lifetime professional musician, and I have met and played with some of the greats and we regarded each other on equal terms. It takes a lot to drop my jaw, and this video indeed was jaw dropping.

I'm starting to practice with my fingers, and after using the pick for a long time, it's difficult to start over again. You have the advantage of not having pick habits.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Watching and listening to that video made me come to the conclusion that finger-style is better.

I love that video. (Didn't rent it. Bought it. If you rent it, you can't watch it as many times.)

BUT...it's hard to generalize. I think a lot of us here are into a lot of different kinds of music. And different sounds call for different approaches.

I like a lot of old-style folk-style guitar music, think Woody Guthrie. I don't use a pick; some is fingerpicked, some is strummed using the whole hand, which seems to give me more sound and a nicer feel than a pick can. Also makes it easy to switch- when I tried to use a pick, I kept dropping the pick when I went to fingerpicking or sticking it in my mouth and choking on it when I tried to sing. I hardly ever use a pick on acoustic nowadays.

But I also like hard rock and metal. Don't see how you can play metal without a pick. The rapid runs, the pinch harmonics, the galloping on two note chords...for metal, I personally need the pick a lot.

I'm trying to learn to use my fingers more on electric, and it's worth it. But I wouldn't say what one way is better than another. What you want to play sort of determines how you have to play, and there are some sounds and styles that, for me at least, need a pick.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ande I agree you aren't going to be able to play hard,fast music without a pick just won't get the sounds you need

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

<...>I love that video. (Didn't rent it. Bought it. If you rent it, you can't watch it as many times.)<...>

After renting it, I went out and bought it myself.

I don't play metal, so I wasn't aware of that, but now that you mention it, I suppose a pick is necessary for that.

My main instrument is sax, and I've been playing that for many years. I got serious about the guitar a couple of years ago (it's my 7th instrument) and I mostly play for an adult market like yacht clubs, country clubs and the like (short hours and good pay). So I get to do a variety of music, but nothing too hard core.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ever try a peso?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I used to use my thumbnail a LOT for strumming- got into the (bad) habit, though, of really moving just the thumb, not the hand/forearm- made it hard to really ring it out.

That's also an open invitation for an overuse injury, and tendonitis at the base of the thumb.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

When I strum without a pick, I mostly just use my thumb and occasionally my forefinger if I need a softer up stroke. (Well, OK, now that you're making me think about it, I also occasionally use all of my fingers (except for thumb) for strumming, depending on the music I'm playing and what sound it requires.) You really just have to work out what's best for you and do that. And take care of your fingernails, it's amazing how many times I've gouged a chunk of nail right off (sometimes in the middle of the nail).

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3