Alternatives for cm6 and F7

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@velsing)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi

I have a beginner friend whose trying to learn 'Vincent' by Don Mclean. The chord sheet includes the cm6 and F7 chords. She is having difficulty playing these chords and would like to substitute other simpler chords instead. What would be good easy alternatives to these chords?

Thanks

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Sixth chords can be simplified by using just the root triad, so Cm will sound ok in place of Cm6.

For the F7, there's no great substitute - dominant 7ths have a specific sound that's important to the progression. They can be fingered in other ways, so she might find one of these easier:

xx3545
xx7868
xx9-9-9-11

But that can leave her jumping all over the neck to get the rest of the chords.

She may find it easier to play if she leaves out the doubled notes, fingering it xx12111. Or she might even play just the critical tones of F, A, and Eb: xx324x. But in the end, she's going to need to do F7 for lots of tunes, so she shouldn't give up working on it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A little curious here - I don't think I've ever come across a m6 chord! How would you go about forming one? I'm guessing you'd need the I - bIII - V - VI of the scale in question, so for a Cm6 it'd be C - Eb - G -A. Where would you use such a chord? In a progression such as Cm7/Cm6/Cm?

I've seen plenty of m7ths, and a m9th - in "Badge" - but not m6ths.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

A little curious here - I don't think I've ever come across a m6 chord! How would you go about forming one? I'm guessing you'd need the I - bIII - V - VI of the scale in question, so for a Cm6 it'd be C - Eb - G -A. Where would you use such a chord? In a progression such as Cm7/Cm6/Cm?

I've seen plenty of m7ths, and a m9th - in "Badge" - but not m6ths.

:D :D :D

Vic
Minor 6ths are great sounding chords.
Here are some common ones
Cm6 XX5545 or 8 10 10 8 10 8
Am6 X02212
Em6 022020
Dm6 XX0201

A nice example is in Lennon's "Jealous Guy".
(C)I was dreaming of the (G) past
(G7)And my heart was beating (Am)fast
(Am6) I began to lose con(G)trol
etc, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I have seen few songs with a minor 6th.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote